You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Applying changes to multiple RAW files

I have thirty RAW images that need to have the same changes applied across all files. It's nothing drastic, just white balance, dynamic range, & contrast tweaking. However, I don't see a way to do this at all. Using File-Batch Job just develops the RAW into JPG but without a way to change anything first. The MACRO is not usable on the Develop Persona & having multiple RAW files open there doesn't mean they're all having changes applied.

I guess I could just make a pen & paper list of what I did to each image, then develop each individually, but this will be very annoying.

What's the solution?

Make Presets? 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @W A Tolbert,

My apologies for the delayed response here. Unfortunately there's no way to batch process a folder full of RAW files using the same custom settings from the Develop Persona currently. This has been requested previously here on the forums and is certainly something we hope to add in the future.

In the meantime, you'll need to open each RAW file and activate the preset before developing the image, or alternatively you can use our batch process feature in conjunction with macros to convert all your RAW files into the format of your choosing - however any custom settings added to this process will be done post-development (Our batch processor develops RAW files using the default app settings, not your presets).

I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it helps to know that it isn't possible after seeking to do so but it surely would be really nice to have it possible to create macros to batch process RAW files. It is incredibly tedious to edit 20 or so RAW files for a stack individually in order to take advantage of the extended control of light and shade!! It ceases to be possible to exercise much control once the stack has been created even with rgb-romm.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I haven't posted in a long while but I have been using Affinity for about a year now. It does some things I like but I still do not see this one feature.

I jump between Affinity & Canon Digital Photo Professional. There are things that each does well & the newest version of DPP is an incredibly capable program. 

What Affinity desperately needs is an analogue to DPP's "recipe" feature for working with RAW files. This business of making macros that only apply AFTER development is baloney. Whether I choose to work on pictures in DPP or Affinity depends in large part on whether I need to make the same changes across multiple files.

One user on the other thread for this topic mentioned timelapse photography as an example. Here is a different one. 

I did an engagement shoot outdoors last weekend & took about 30 photos in an hour. Lighting was reasonably consistent, but I still needed to adjust shadows, tones, & white balance on all shots. With Affinity I had to do each photo individually, & actually wound up making the same development choices for each one. Whereas in DPP, I could have grabbed one picture, made a "recipe", then batch applied to all of the RAW files. 

Regardless of if my client receives five photos or eight or thirty, it would still be a huge time saver to put these development tweaks across all the pictures at once. I would spend five to seven minutes doing MOST of what I need to do, instead of that amount of time multiplied by each photo (so I spent well over 90 minutes on five pictures, in this example).

Why not try using Presets with an external macro editor (eg AutoHotkey)?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 2 years later...

This is something what i am missing a lot - Affinity is great, but having possibility to show Photos in folder (like LIghtroom has it) and copy+paste develop settings from one photo to another would be amazing!

Would this be something what could make it to the roadmap?

On 9/23/2023 at 10:41 PM, jannav said:

This is something what i am missing a lot - Affinity is great, but having possibility to show Photos in folder (like LIghtroom has it) and copy+paste develop settings from one photo to another would be amazing!

Would this be something what could make it to the roadmap?

+ 1