You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can Affinity Designer help with equal marks around a circle?

Hi.  I am in the tall grass here and could use some advice. My frame of reference is Omnigraffle and Visio, with a little photoshop and pixelmatr thrown in.

I have a project to create large circular diagrams that have 365 equal marks on the outside of the circle, twelve  full 30 degree wedges on the inside, and 64 marks on the inside of the outer rim, with all three elements aligned at a single point. There would be other graphical elements, but these are the ones I would want to automate at least the alignment for. Will I have to draw each mark manually? Can I get designer to space them evenly/exactly for me? Is there another tool to use?

Thanks.

-Ed

Hi.  I am in the tall grass here and could use some advice. My frame of reference is Omnigraffle and Visio, with a little photoshop and pixelmatr thrown in.

I have a project to create large circular diagrams that have 365 equal marks on the outside of the circle, twelve  full 30 degree wedges on the inside, and 64 marks on the inside of the outer rim, with all three elements aligned at a single point. There would be other graphical elements, but these are the ones I would want to automate at least the alignment for. Will I have to draw each mark manually? Can I get designer to space them evenly/exactly for me? Is there another tool to use?

Thanks.

-Ed

Hi Ed,

This thread may be of use to you, please let me know if it is: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/9472-text-on-a-path-anomaly/?p=40030

Paul,

• Staff

Hi edramsey,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You can use the Shape tools to build it (plus snapping to align everything in place).

If you show me a sample of how you want the marks i may be able to advise you better.

I believe it's something similar to this?

post-59-0-04152200-1438764746_thumb.png

Hi edramsey,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You can use the Shape tools to build it (plus snapping to align everything in place).

If you show me a sample of how you want the marks i may be able to advise you better.

I believe it's something similar to this?

attachicon.gifdiagram.png

Thanks, MEB! This is a great starting point for me. Between you and Paul I think I can get started. I will study your diagram and see if I can duplicate it.

• Staff

Hi Ed,

You're welcome  ^_^

Here's the afdesign file: 

diagram_MEB.afdesign

Note: To dynamically change the number of marks on the diagram, expand the internal marks layer (same for external marks layer) clicking on the small arrow near the layer's name in the Layers panel, select the Star layer inside, and change the number of Points in the context toolbar right above the work area.

Hi Ed,

You're welcome  ^_^

Here's the afdesign file: 

attachicon.gifdiagram_MEB.afdesign

Note: To dynamically change the number of marks on the diagram, expand the internal marks layer (same for external marks layer) clicking on the small arrow near the layer's name in the Layers panel, select the Star layer inside, and change the number of Points in the context toolbar right above the work area.

Thank you! Way more than I expected; much appreciated.