You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export to PDF replaces "ff" and "ss" in the entire document with a blank square box

I am evaluating the 3 Affinity products to replace Adobe. When exporting a document to PDF, every word in the document with "ff" and "ss" are all replaced with a square box. See attachments to view the problem.

I have tried every PDF type. The only one that doesn't do this is when I rasterize the file but then it's pages that look like photos and is 30mb in size. This defeats the purpose of PDF.

Please advise.

Screenshot 2020-06-11 10.04.30.png

Screenshot 2020-06-11 10.05.35.png

Screenshot 2020-06-11 10.06.21.png

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

How are you viewing the exported PDF files? If you are opening them with an Affinity application, you may need to ensure that you turn off the "Subset Fonts" option in the More... part of the Export dialog. That should enable Affinity to properly interpret the ligatures that it is currently missing.

Alternatively, you could use Affinity's typography settings in the Character panel to disable the ligatures.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank you Walt and Sean. I have a 20+ page PDF with a Georgia font. If I change the font to anything else it messes up the entire formatting of the document. I need to edit the file, and that seems to work just fine. When I save it as PDF the problem occurs as shown throughout the document.

I am able to view the original PDF with Adobe PDF (any version), but the saved edited file from Affinity Designer has the problem described in my original post.

When I save the PDF file "Text as Curves" it works fine but cannot later edit the new file.

I tried turning off "Subset fonts" with no change to the problem. I cannot find a "Character panel" - only a "Text" drop down menu.

I am attaching the afdesign file you asked for Sean.

I am using version 1.8.3

FontTest.afdesign

Edited by RandyM
Adding version

I hope this doesn’t just muddy the waters further for you but I just tried your attached design file and all PDF exports worked as expected, no mystery boxes replacing letters when viewed in Preview or Adobe Reader.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

• 2 years later...

Was there ever a solution to this issue please? We have just spent a considerable sum on printing a magazine that has all the ff, i and single f letters replaced by a small square box. Yes, it ought to have been picked up in the print proof, but wasn't and now very disappointing. It was exported from Affinity Publisher to PDF and has exported this way, before going to print. Any help much appreciated.

Hello @Sister Irini

Have you tried the suggestions in the previous postings? So switch off ligatures in the character settings or / and subsets in the advanced export settings for PDF export.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

• 1 year later...

I just experienced the same effect, but while importing a file to Publisher 2 (the same happens with Designer 2). I was importing a pdf that contains the word offset multiple times and in both software it came out o!set. So it was not replaced by a box but with !. And of course it's all words with double f that get the same treatment. I have put a box around the word offers to point it out, later in the text there is also offensive that has the same problem.

I have included attachments. One image is from MacOS preview and the other two from publisher and designer. I have also included the original file. I have the font mukta installed which is the main body font. But the same happened before I installed mukta. It was just replaced with Helvetica.

Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 12.38.06.png

Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 12.40.17.png

Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 12.42.55.png

The Benefits of Expanded Gamut Printing: Savings, Stability, Fast Turnaround - Flexographic Technical Association 1_2.pdf

Edited by JK-70

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @JK-70.

You say you're "importing" the PDF file to Publisher. How are you doing that? A simple Open, or something else?

What application created the PDF file originally? (Sorry; I don't seem to have an app on my iPad that will display that information.)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Hello again,

just to stir the pot little bit more. Since this is only 8 pages I manually replaced the exclamation mark with double f's and when I then exported the file to PDF it still had the double f's so in that respect my problem seems totally the opposite of the original although definitely a sibling :)

Importing the exported PDF file back to Publisher did not replace double f's 

6 hours ago, JK-70 said:

Since this is only 8 pages I manually replaced the exclamation mark with double f's

Did you replace with 2 "f" characters, or with a double-f ligature (which the original file contained)?

Did you have Standard Ligatures enabled in the Paragraph settings?

What font were you using, and does it have the ff-ligature?

Basically, as I understand it, if a PDF is created with the ligature characters, it will only be handled properly by the Affinity applications if the PDF was created with the full fonts embedded, not a subset. At least, that is the case if you use Affinity to create the PDF. The PDF you provided uses subset fonts, not the full fonts, so it may show the same problem.

-- Walt
PC:

Hello Walt,

I did replace it with 2x "f". As I said above at first I did not have the correct font (Mukta) and I let the system replace it with Helvetica, but I then installed Mukta to my system and used that. I did try the ligature setting from the Text pulldown menu but it made no difference what setting I used (Default, all, none). Import menu as far as I can see has no settings for that.

1 hour ago, JK-70 said:

I did try the ligature setting from the Text pulldown menu but it made no difference what setting I used (Default, all, none).

How it works will depend on exactly when you did it, and what text you had selected. You would have to share a .afpub document for me to see more details.

1 hour ago, JK-70 said:

Import menu as far as I can see has no settings for that.

No, it doesn't. You need to have the Export settings correct, in whichever application created the PDF.

-- Walt
PC: