You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crash on saving to long folder name string

Just trying to save a file and received the message:

'access to the document's file was lost while performing loading'

The file saved was 0bytes and Affinity closed down.

Tried several times, same result. 

Tried shutdown/restart, same result.

Tried saving to a short folder path and saved, no problem.

Original path: FAILED

C:\Users\xxnamexxxx\xxcompanyInsightxxxxxxx\IGM - Documents\Jobs\xxxxxx\4690-01 website\logo\FAVICON\xxxxxx-LOGO_RGB-favicon.afphoto

Revised path: SAVED

C:\Users\xxnamexxxx\xxcompanyInsightxxxxxxx\IGM - Documents\Jobs\xxxxxx\logo\FAVICON\xxxxxx-LOGO_RGB-favicon.afphoto

Is there a limit on the save folder/file character length?

PC / Win10 / AffinityPhoto v1.8.0.585 (haven't upgraded to latest versions as upgrades tend to crash/corrupt)

Hi Wosven

Thx for that. I checked the failing path length and it is 132 characters, which would appear to be within the 260 max. but got me thinking, the local folder is synced with OneDrive and I found this reference below to file path lengths, which may explain it i.e. some of the hidden strings and characters encoding could, in this instance, push it past the maximum length.

• A given element (file or folder) cannot be more than 128 characters.
  • A total file path including full path + file name cannot be more than 260 characters.
  • All must be URL encoded so many characters count as 3 characters. This means the limit can be reached faster than expected.

Now need to find out if I can uncover the encoding and resultant length.

Thx

• Staff

I am unable to reproduce the crash but I do get an error. Doesn't matter if I save locally or to OneDrive though.

We should definitely not be crashing as well. Ideally we need to reproduce this or get a crash report. Can you see if you have one in:

%AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports

or 

%AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Store)\CrashReports

• Staff

Perfect—thank you MarkXKR,

I also created the .dmp files so this should give dev something to go on. Curiously, a huge discussion has broken out about this so this is really positive. I really appreciate you posting this.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2020 at 1:01 PM, Chris B said:

Perfect—thank you MarkXKR,

I also created the .dmp files so this should give dev something to go on. Curiously, a huge discussion has broken out about this so this is really positive. I really appreciate you posting this.

Chris B

Any news on this? Just experienced another crash - different file, different location, same issue. No crash reports produced

Thx Mark

• Staff

The issue seems to lie with long path names, not necessarily file names (which of course does contribute to the entire path name).

Can you copy/paste a typical path including the file name? If you've got anything personal/private in the path, just replace the characters with an x

2 hours ago, Chris B said:

The issue seems to lie with long path names, not necessarily file names (which of course does contribute to the entire path name).

Can you copy/paste a typical path including the file name? If you've got anything personal/private in the path, just replace the characters with an x

Hi

This was a path name that I pasted originally with the confidential bits 'x'd' out:

C:\Users\xxnamexxxx\xxcompanyInsightxxxxxxx\IGM - Documents\Jobs\xxxxxx\4690-01 website\logo\FAVICON\xxxxxx-LOGO_RGB-favicon.afphoto 

Do you need actual strings?

Thx

• Staff

Sorry, I realise you had already pasted the path but wondered if you got the same crash with a different file and path. 

This is something we need to fix. Max path should be 260 characters but yours is coming in at 132 with spaces.

Annoyingly, for now, I think you need to try and reduce the path length to prevent this happening until development put in a fix. 

31 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Sorry, I realise you had already pasted the path but wondered if you got the same crash with a different file and path. 

This is something we need to fix. Max path should be 260 characters but yours is coming in at 132 with spaces.

Annoyingly, for now, I think you need to try and reduce the path length to prevent this happening until development put in a fix. 

Hi Chris

Thanks, I'll try using a different path string to see if this makes a difference.

Any idea on when this will be investigated for a fix?

Thx

• Staff

I have absolutely no idea to be honest. It sparked quite a big discussion so I'd imagine it's one they would be keen to fix. We never give timescales for fixes but you might occasionally get a developer comment on a thread saying 'this will be fixed in the next build' or something.

Sorry. 

Just now, Chris B said:

I have absolutely no idea to be honest. It sparked quite a big discussion so I'd imagine it's one they would be keen to fix. We never give timescales for fixes but you might occasionally get a developer comment on a thread saying 'this will be fixed in the next build' or something.

Sorry. 

I didn't expect a specific date, but if it gets people talking and if that could have other implications then it may bobble to the surface :)

Thx

• Staff

It's usually once the lead project developers are satisfied with the internal testing and feedback from customers who decide to install the beta. I realise there are some critical issues that are a priority and need fixing but we try not to introduce regressions etc. 

1 minute ago, Chris B said:

It's usually once the lead project developers are satisfied with the internal testing and feedback from customers who decide to install the beta. I realise there are some critical issues that are a priority and need fixing but we try not to introduce regressions etc. 

👍👍