You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Changing part of vehicle from blue to white

1. Select the blue curtain
  2. Add a Black and White Adjustment, see settings below.
    1818498890_ScreenShot2020-06-10at18_34_57.png.c19d719650c5b776bc52ff7e64f6b533.png
  3. While you still have the selection active create a new pixel layer
  4. Use the colour picker from the colour panel to make a colour selection from the truck side near the curtain.
  5. make sure the pixel layer is selected and fill with the colour selected from step 5, it should be something like this
    1089030286_ScreenShot2020-06-10at18_45_38.png.16495a5917b766168647e9b8ce252c77.png
  6. Set the pixel layers blend mode to Colour and 80% opacity, this will tint the white to make it look correct in the image., it should also be above the black and white adjustment layer.

As a side note make some shadow hotspots for the tyres like so...
301720305_ScreenShot2020-06-10at18_48_36.png.17e17b7f52e5c1466cd9dfcddd572599.png

Result should look similar to this...
1421687141_ScreenShot2020-06-10at18_49_48.png.c6ed683a31d28e326edc12172dd3fc9b.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I was able to match the curtains to the truck panels using 2 different methods – a Black & White adjustment and a Recolor adjustment. I've attached an edited version of your Vehicle file.

In brief, the first thing I did was to make a selection of the blue parts of the curtain. This is saved in the .afphoto file as a Spare Channel (called "Blue Truck Curtains"). I applied a Black and White adjustment, and then right-clicked the Spare Channel, choosing "Load to Black and White Adjustment Alpha". This applies the selection to the adjustment layer as a mask. In the black and white adjustment, I lightened the Blues and the Cyans. I set the blend mode to Screen. Alternately, I used a Recolor adjustment (also setting the Alpha to the Blue Truck Curtains spare channel) and changed the Hue, Saturation, and Lightness sliders to match the truck panel (which aren't really white, but rather a really light blue). Again, I set the Blend Mode to Screen.

Here's the result of the Black and White adjustment:

2132693645_MatchingCurtains.jpg.a5a8a072db69b25ec53719ec511ce4ae.jpg

Also, here's a link to a PixImperfect tutorial on YouTube, wherein he changes colors to Black or White. Although it's a Photoshop tutorial, you can do the same thing(s) in Affinity Photo. Also, I used the Screen blend mode instead of Lighten (as he used) because this was able to maintain the slight bluish tint of the truck panel more easily.

Matching_Curtains.afphoto

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

15 minutes ago, smadell said:

I was able to match the curtains to the truck panels using 2 different methods – a Black & White adjustment and a Recolor adjustment. I've attached an edited version of your Vehicle file.

In brief, the first thing I did was to make a selection of the blue parts of the curtain. This is saved in the .afphoto file as a Spare Channel (called "Blue Truck Curtains"). I applied a Black and White adjustment, and then right-clicked the Spare Channel, choosing "Load to Black and White Adjustment Alpha". This applies the selection to the adjustment layer as a mask. In the black and white adjustment, I lightened the Blues and the Cyans. I set the blend mode to Screen. Alternately, I used a Recolor adjustment (also setting the Alpha to the Blue Truck Curtains spare channel) and changed the Hue, Saturation, and Lightness sliders to match the truck panel (which aren't really white, but rather a really light blue). Again, I set the Blend Mode to Screen.

Here's the result of the Black and White adjustment:

Also, here's a link to a PixImperfect tutorial on YouTube, wherein he changes colors to Black or White. Although it's a Photoshop tutorial, you can do the same thing(s) in Affinity Photo. Also, I used the Screen blend mode instead of Lighten (as he used) because this was able to maintain the slight bluish tint of the truck panel more easily.

Matching_Curtains.afphoto 9.12 MB · 0 downloads

The version you've done using recolour is just what I'm after!! Thank you.

With one exception - the edges of the selection around the grey tape very near the bottom are really jagged, is there a way I can smooth these out?

Thanks for the help

I confess that I didn’t spend an abundance of time on the selection, itself. If you wanted to smooth the jaggies at the bottom, select the adjustment layer and paint on it with black and/or white. In that way, you’ll get a better layer mask for the adjustment layer.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

21 minutes ago, smadell said:

I confess that I didn’t spend an abundance of time on the selection, itself. If you wanted to smooth the jaggies at the bottom, select the adjustment layer and paint on it with black and/or white. In that way, you’ll get a better layer mask for the adjustment layer.

As in literally just paint colour onto the layer? I tried that but I just have a big black line where I used the paint brush which I'm thinking isn't what you meant.

(Apologies, real neewbie here)

No, no...  Don't paint on the Pixel layer (that is, don't paint right onto the truck). What I suggested was to paint onto the Adjustment Layer (the "Recolor" layer).

Every adjustment layer, and every live filter layer, has a built-in mask. Initially, that mask is white (which means that adjustments and filters are applied to the entire layer). You can limit the adjustment/filter to apply to just specific areas by masking the adjustment. However, when it comes to adjustment layers and live filter layers you don't have to add an additional mask – there's already one there.

So... (1) select the Recolor adjustment layer in the Layers panel; (2) Make sure that the Paint Brush tool is active; (3) Paint ON THE ADJUSTMENT LAYER in either black or white (or in a shade of grey) and this will conceal (black) or reveal (white) the adjustment in the areas that you paint.

Here's what I mean - just one way of doing this.

By the way, you could solve the whole problem by avoiding it to begin with - get rid of my selection and make a better one! Make a selection of the area you want to affect, using a soft brush - one with 0% hardness, or another very low value - and select only the blue areas of the curtains. With the selection active, add a Recolor adjustment, which will incorporate the selection as a mask.

Glad I could help you. Sometimes video is the only way!