You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have an image that I downloaded from Shutterstock with an Asian alphabet/font in it. I am using it for some Oriental artwork I am doing. However, the file is encapsulated postscript, and Designer seems to have a hard time importing it correctly. It gives me a horribly pixelated, postage-stamp sized image, which is obviously useless for vector art. I think there may be something a bit wonky about the file, because no one seems to be able to import it correctly, although the one time I was looking at it on a friend's computer in her copy of Illustrator, it was beautifully clean. So, the image data is there, but something seems to be confusing everyone who is trying to read it in.

David

• Staff

Welcome to the forums djharr!

It sounds like the file was created and exported from Illustrator. EPS files normally exported from Illustrator will contain many bitmaps and a comment containing a copy of the Illustrator document. Illustrator ignores the EPS part and opens the Illustrator document - this explains why Illustrator is able to open the EPS file without any problems. Our apps can only read the EPS portion of the file.

Is it possible to download the file from Shutterstock in another format, such as PDF or SVG?

No, unfortunately, it isn't. It is extremely aggravating, because even when I do open the file in Illustrator, exporting it in another format seems to do nothing. [Later] OK, I went back and looked at a clean SVG export I got from Illustrator. The stupid program made the SVG 10 pixels by 10 pixels, then stacked the layers in reverse order, so that the large white background rectangle was in front of everything else. I was able to bring that into Designer and then resize and rearrange everything so the file is now happy and I can use it. Best part is that editing it with Designer is a breeze.

Thanks, guys.

David

• 3 years later...

the .ps file is not written in illustrator, it straight postscript, I can copy this straight to a postscript printer and it will come out, it's just not encapsulated.  as in the .eps files, other eps files work with your program, and you just said it understands ai, so.... why would it not pick it up?

8 minutes ago, RampantDox said:

the .ps file is not written in illustrator, it straight postscript, I can copy this straight to a postscript printer and it will come out, it's just not encapsulated.  as in the .eps files, other eps files work with your program, and you just said it understands ai, so.... why would it not pick it up?

You should start your own topic, as:

1. You have a different kind of problem (.ps file, not .eps file). And
  2. That other topic is several years old.

You should get better responses making your own topic, and cause less confusion.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

24 minutes ago, RampantDox said:

umm I did, and it put me in here

Not exactly. It referred you here for the answer. Not  necessarily to continue the discussion here.

(But, sorry, I did not see your other topic until after I responded here.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1