You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

My experience with Publisher

Hi everyone!

Yesterday I finished my first project made only in affinity publisher. Most of the time I use indesign, but this time, since brandbook I used was made in PDF, it was convenient for me to import PDF directly  into publisher and copy from it into my project file.

Working as a graphic designer full time,  I do a lot of projects every day and if something is wrong about software, I will see it right away.

So that’s what problems I found?

1.       Same poor performance as I stated in this thread: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/103368-poor-performance-on-windows/&tab=comments#comment-570688

2.       When I was finishing project, publisher started lagging, and its actually different from my 1st point. This made working barely possible. When I selected and moved text  for example, there was a freeze for 5 seconds. After that no lags. But when  I scrolled to another page lag repeated. Interestingly, after I restarted publisher , problem went away. Before restarting software I checked system monitor, there was no 100 percent usage of anything. Just usual high load on CPU, just as with any affinity product. Sorry if I explained this problem  badly. P.s. all files are linked not embedded.

3.       Non existent Hot key or Icon for Picture Frame Properties

4.       Complex shortcut for preview mode, ctrl shift w is pretty big shortcut for such often used feature

5.       I wasn’t been successful with text wrap feature. I made a short video :

my PC is i5 7500, 16 gb ram, integrated graphics. Publisher version1.8.3.641

1. + 2.: The only time I experience lags is, when there are many complex elements on the page or even one very complex element (with lots of nodes). What could help is turning off some of the Snapping options. From my experience I don't need the complete set of Snapping options to be activated altogether.

3.: Agreed, that should be added or to be more clearly: EVERY function should have the option for a shortcut.

4.: You can adapt the shortcut to your needs e.g. Alt+X.

5.: What file type did you place for text wrap? These tons of nodes look weird. Maybe they came from an IDML import? Perhaps you could use "Edit Wrap Outline" on this image?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

47 minutes ago, shustovcreates said:

4.       Complex shortcut for preview mode, ctrl shift w is pretty big shortcut for such often used feature

5.       I wasn’t been successful with text wrap feature. I made a short video :

4. At first,, I had assign shortcut F10 for preview mode, and use it until few days when I decided to test the simple use of "w", as in ID. It seems APub is able to undertand when we are in text mode (writing) and not, so it's possible to use "w" for preview mode, as we can be used with ID.

5. it seems like you need to import again or redraw the path for it to work properly. It  would be interesting to be able to check and play with this page of your file, but you probably can't post it.

7 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

1. + 2.: The only time I experience lags is, when there are many complex elements on the page or even one very complex element (with lots of nodes). What could help is turning off some of the Snapping options. From my experience I don't need the complete set of Snapping options to be activated altogether.

3.: Agreed, that should be added or to be more clearly: EVERY function should have the option for a shortcut.

4.: You can adapt the shortcut to your needs e.g. Alt+X.

5.: What file type did you place for text wrap? These tons of nodes look weird. Maybe they came from an IDML import? Perhaps you could use "Edit Wrap Outline" on this image?

1. do you use mac or windows? if windows  what cpu & gpu you use? you can follow link to the thread where I complain about perfomance, theres a video

I will link my file for educational purposeshttps://yadi.sk/d/WJsLzV2I_zZMLQ

I am working on Windows 10, i5-8500 @ 3.00 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Samsumg 1 TB SSD

Thx for the link, I will have a look.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

I looked at the document and no lags at any time. About the wrap problem, there will be too many nodes generated if you select Tight as wrap option (but this is no explanation why it wraps like rectangle). But you can correct this quite easy.

1. Make wrap option Tight for the image.

2. Select "Edit Wrap Outline" and delete with the Node tool all nodes.

3. Click the image with the Node tool and select "Edit Wrap Outline" again and now create your own wrap outline.

Maybe someone has a faster solution for this? BTW nice layout.

------

OK, it gets a bit faster if you delete the marked nodes you see in the attached image. Not perfect, but faster. ;)

cleaningcontour.jpg

------