Sign in to follow this  
O. Chevetaigne

New Printing Paradigm?

Have you seen this?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/review-epson-kills-the-printer-ink-cartridge-1438683871

If I'm reading this right  (  :huh: ) it doesn't look like they intend to extend this model to their pro level photo printers, and the ink (Bk, C, M & Y ) is dye-based - not pigment).

But, It seems like a step in the right direction....

This idea/conversation isn't exactly new.

1. Pro photo-shops have had this for ages.
  2. Fountain pens have had bellow reservoirs long before disposable cartridges.
  3. Cigarette lighters started of with petrol/alcohol soaked cotton(?) swabs, then became disposables.

So as someone who has just seen a Kodak all-in-one printer die on me, just past its warranty period. :angry: Who only offered to sell me a second hand printer for £50. :(  I hope that these machines will last for several years more.

638815251_416.jpg

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

I have a HP OfficeJet 7110e Wide format (A3) printer. While it is still essentially 'cartridge based' the cartridges are actually liquid inside (or so it seems) and it takes 5 minutes to prime itself in a morning sucking the ink/dye through the pipes etc. Never clogs up and is a brilliant printer. So good I bought one for home too.