You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher, struggling with multi-level lists

TL;DR:  I want a list where the top level is a number, level 2 is a bullet.  That's it!  This has to be possible.

Full:

I want a list that mixes numbers and bullets and I just can't make it work.  The attached document details the problem and includes the style definitions I'm fighting with.  As can be seen in the doc, there are three different list style types I'm using. Two of them work the way I want, I have left them in to demonstrate, if nothing else, I have made progress, and have indeed read the (rather sparse) documentation on this and I've watched a few Youtube video tutorials too. No matter what, I can't lick this last list definition.

If someone were willing to take a peek and steer me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated.  

Affinity, please look at multi-level lists... they are not at all intuitive.  I have spent many hours wrestling with this feature with mixed success. Thanks.

bullets.afpub

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello, I have this problem too, I have a bulleted section within a numbered list and I want to indent it. I wish there was an indent button I could push.

I can't make sense of the instructions within Affinity publisher, because I cannot find the items they refer to in my  paragraph and text panes. In this case I see where to go  In @DWright's example, however the level is greyed out in my paragraph window. Please advise, thanks.

1 minute ago, LindaYVR said:

I have a bulleted section within a numbered list and I want to indent it. I wish there was an indent button I could push.

Tab may do that, depending on exactly what you're trying to accomplish. And back-tab to go back to the prior level.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

10 minutes ago, LindaYVR said:

What tab setting would I need for a level one indent of bullets?

First off, that would be a level two indent. A list in a list.

11 minutes ago, LindaYVR said:

My current setting for  numbered list is: Left indent 1p6, and first line indent 0p6.

Start with that and add a bit.

I think that looking at number 2. 30 circles... shows you haven't go that set right. First and second line are the same left indent. item 1. Theatre.... only has the one line so I can't tell.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, LindaYVR said:

I don't know how to work with tabs

After this type the line with number 1, and press Enter, press Tab. That will automatically create an indented list.

Change it to bulleted, and work normally until the indented list is done. Then after you press Enter, press Shift+Tab to return to the outer level.

You may need to adjust the setting for when renumbering occurs.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@Old Bruce The way I solved my immediate problem in the screenshot I sent was to create a new text box for the bulleted list and paste into the numbered list. @walt.farrellI still can't figure out instructions. I instinctively open up a new doc and copied my list over. I see the 2nd level is pre-formatted and I fiddled around to close the space between the bullet and the text, but I can't get the bullet to line up with the text in the numbered list text. Please see the attached doc. Thanks for your help.

formatted lists.afpub