You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've scrolled for some time looking for a thread in which my problem might be addressed, but no luck.

Im using a mid-2009 MacBook Pro (Yosemite 10.10.5) 8GB RAM (1067 MHz DDR3) 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo -

Affinity Publisher 1.8.3

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the user interface, features, speed and reliability of Publisher with two small exceptions.

I'm working on a book (377 pages) with a substantial index (8 pages worth).  Inserting an index is no problem, it goes very smoothly.  However, the 'update index' icon in the Index Panel (lit and 'pressable') does not actually update the index after additions are made.  Is this specific to my particular machine, (operating system) or is this a common situation?  Perhaps, I'm not fully understanding some aspect of the update process.  A workaround I've developed is to simply dump the outdated index and insert a new one with the changes/additions I've made.  Doing that ten times this morning is a bit aggravating ... but it works.  (PS  I understood from some online Publisher documentation that PreFlight would warn/suggest an index update prior to export.  This does not seem to happen, although it does warn/suggest a TOC update when needed.)

Secondly, and there's no real need to address this issue here, is the lack of footnotes or endnotes in Publisher.  The workaround I've been using is inserting text frames at the bottom of the page, but of course that is problematic if changes need to be made in the document, as the text frames don't follow the changes (they don't 'follow' the text which is moved, nor do they update the footnote number).  Again, not a concern at this time.  Main issue is the index updating failure.

Many thanks for any help forthcoming.

Ed H1316274367_ScreenShot2020-06-09at3_23_15PM.png.60f3d397a7c77ff8a963d11ed87be30a.png, Canadian Outdoor Press

Edited by EDHOR

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi EDHOR,

Welcome to the forums :)

If possible could you provide a copy of the file so I can look into this further with you?

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hi Callum; 

Thanks for getting back to me.  We're just about to go to press later today, so this issue isn't first and foremost at the moment.  We just dumped the last index and added a new one prior to uploading a PDF to our printer guys.  The galleys will be coming back later in the week and we'll need to focus on those.

If it becomes an issue in the future, we shall follow up with you.  We appreciate the outreach.

All the best,  Ed

• 9 months later...

I know this is a late post, but I'm having the same issue with updating the index. Seems to be a bug because I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary or making any great demands on the software. I also use the workaround - to reinsert a new index. That works, but it's not ideal.

P.S. I can't offer up the doc. I'm working on; proprietary info.

My BOOK (created with Publisher, Designer & Photo):
Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way)

My WEBSITE (also developed using Affinity apps):
www.RolandK.ca — "Relentless adventures in self-expression"

[Power Mac & Intel PC (HighSierra/Monterey/Win 10]