You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Nik Collection 3 Update - Work well with Affinity?

Just now, youngmedia said:

Has anyone downloaded the Nik Plugins upgrade? How does it work with Affinity? Do you get all of the benefits or are some Adobe only? They seem to mention Adobe a lot, and not Affinity, when mentioning the changes.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 1 month later...

It is very disappointing. It works exactly as per v2.5 but the new perspective plugin (which does much more than just fix perspective) doesn't work natively with Affinity. You need to export a tiff, then run the plugin standalone, save the tiff then open it in Affinity. Too much faff. Also the new "non destructive" editing via "enhanced" tiff files  is not available from Affinity (nor from DxO Photolab so far as I can see! Which is even more strange) but unless you really need the Perspective Efex plugin there is nothing to make an affinity user upgrade from 2.5 IMHO.

If you do splash out the new plugin uses an entirely different UI from the others (which weren't exactly consistent anyway!) but is very powerful for fixing perspective, sorting edge distortion on wide angle shots, defishing fisheye images and (if you really must!) toy-town selective focus effects.

But the much heralded "intregration" with Affinity seems to have been ditched after one release. Very poor show.

That is annoying, as is the fact that I purchased about 60 days before the new one came out. The upgrade discount only applied for 30 days and was not really an upograde for us anyway.

One more annoying thing is the pop up that constantly asks me to upgrade. I spoke to DxO about that and they gavce me some code to add to the library file, editable in Text Edit.

I am not sure of this now means I will not get update notices for my existing version.

Riley (Support & Assistance) 

Jul 15, 2020, 11:46 PM GMT+2 

Hello JAMES,
To disable the upgrade pop-up, please open the following file using TextEdit:
/Library/Preferences/DxO/Nik Collection/NikCollection.cfg
and look for:
</group>
 <group name=“Checkforupdate”>
any information here
 </group>

if this line is found:
<key name=“IsEnabled” type=“bool” value=“1"/>
change it to:
<key name=“IsEnabled” type=“bool” value=“0"/>

if this line is not found, please change this section to:

</group>
 <group name=“Checkforupdate”>
<key name=“IsEnabled” type=“bool” value=“0"/>
 </group>
Please only replace the text exactly and do not omit any blank lines already in the file, specifically the one after the second </group>.

Kind regards,

Riley - DxO Labs Support Team 2