You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vector Brushes very sluggish PC designer latest version

as stated above, the Vector Brushes very sluggish PC designer latest version.  NOT BETA.

I have to wait 3 -5 minutes for Designer to stop taking ram. Then the brushes drawing is a bit smoother, but very sluggish. This seems to be getting worse with every release.

This is happening with supplied brushes and third party.

My machine is fast, Threadripper, 64GB of ram, 2080 Super, 4K. No reason what so ever for this to be lagging.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Also when is GPU acceleration going to happen on the PC?

Gary

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi The Gary,

Please could you provide a screen recording demonstrating this? Unfortunately I don't have an ETA for GPU acceleration at the moment.

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

On 6/29/2020 at 4:01 AM, Callum said:

Hi The Gary,

Please could you provide a screen recording demonstrating this? Unfortunately I don't have an ETA for GPU acceleration at the moment.

Thanks

C

Hello @Callum

Here is a screen recording of various brushes. This is REALLY LAGGING compared to what it used to be. 

The system is fast, 64gb of ram, GEFORE 2080 Super, Threadripper 1950X, and windows 10 pro.

Gary

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

• 2 weeks later...

@Callum

Hello I responded to you request with the video in post above, but I haven't heard anything back from you.

Please confirm you have seen the post.

Thank you

Gary 

Affinity runs off of CPU more than anything else, what settings do you have on the performance tab in Affinity Preferences? …and have you tried changing those settings to see if those changes have an affect.

Do you have any backgrounds tasks or apps running that you could temporarily stop to see if these are having an impact on Affinitys performance.

On my older 2011 iMac the brushes have no lag even at larger sizes and can only run on OpenGL.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

8 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Affinity runs off of CPU more than anything else, what settings do you have on the performance tab in Affinity Preferences? …and have you tried changing those settings to see if those changes have an affect.

Do you have any backgrounds tasks or apps running that you could temporarily stop to see if these are having an impact on Affinitys performance.

On my older 2011 iMac the brushes have no lag even at larger sizes and can only run on OpenGL.

Nothing slowing down in the background . Check all these things before posting here.  Its something to do with DESIGNER. 

Gary

6 minutes ago, thegary said:

Nothing slowing down in the background . Check all these things before posting here.  Its something to do with DESIGNER. 

Gary

You just need to be patient wait.

The more restricted you put on the program, the closer you program is to idiot.

On 7/9/2020 at 9:15 AM, Aftemplate said:

You just need to be patient wait.

This isn't my issue, it was part of the question when its coming. I have another issue as stated in the original post.

Gary

Confirmed. When I use a 32px ink brush, and start drawing a continuous line (using Wacom tablet) at some point Designer starts lagging more and more, and does not keep up with my stroke. In my case the issue becomes problematic after around 12 seconds of continous line drawing, and for short strokes it does not appear to be an issue. 

My machine is very, very old: an Intel i7 920 and GTX1080. Why your modern rig is experiencing the issue faster? I have no idea. But it definitely is an issue, and probably a bug.

On 6/29/2020 at 10:31 PM, thegary said:

Hello @Callum

Here is a screen recording of various brushes. This is REALLY LAGGING compared to what it used to be. 

The system is fast, 64gb of ram, GEFORE 2080 Super, Threadripper 1950X, and windows 10 pro.

Gary

That looks familiar.
This behaviour has also been seen on Macs too. It still happens on mine but since I’ve never needed to do one long continuous stroke as seen in the recordings I’ve never found it a show stopper. But if it could be improved...

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

On 6/29/2020 at 4:01 AM, Callum said:

Hi The Gary,

Thanks

C

@Callum

I have done what you asked about a video. But know reply what so ever. Can you please let me know a fix or if this is reported. 

Gary

• Staff

Hi TheGary,

I Apologise for such a delayed response this thread slipped through the net. This is something we have been able to recreate and is currently logged with our developers I'll give it a bump and find out more.

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

4 minutes ago, Callum said:

Hi TheGary,

I Apologise for such a delayed response this thread slipped through the net. This is something we have been able to recreate and is currently logged with our developers I'll give it a bump and find out more.

Thanks

C

@Callum

No problem at all. Just wanted to make sure it was something to be fixed by me or someone. 

Thank you for the reply!

Gary