You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher 1.8.3 (Windows): pixel objects and picture frames

Following up another thread in which I wrote about having trouble putting a simple rule (stroke) around a rectangular object of type "pixel." The controls for adding a rule work with an object of type "image," but don't work with one of type "pixel".

The convert-to-picture-frame menu item is inaccessible when you right-click a pixel object.

By accident I discovered an odd workaround: If you select the vector crop tool and crop the pixel object by even some imperceptible amount on one side, suddenly the convert-to-picture-frame menu item does become accessible.

Which of these features are by design? Might any of them be bugs?

1. Can't draw a rule (stroke) around a pixel object*
2. Can't convert a pixel object to a picture frame—not immediately. BUT:
3. Slight crop with the vector crop tool enables converting the pixel object to a picture frame

* It can be done with the Outline layer effect, but that dialog does not permit enabling square corners (it supports only rounded ones) as far as I know.

Affinity Publisher and Photo 1.8.3 (Windows). Lenovo laptop with decidedly sub-optimal monitor. At least it works.
“The wonderful thing about standards is that you can have as many of ’em as you want.”
– Anonymous cynic

• Staff

Hi @MikeA,

1. Can't draw a rule (stroke) around a pixel object* - By design. Pixel objects/layes have no concept of stroke.
  2. Can't convert a pixel object to a picture frame—not immediately. BUT: - I think it's a bug here. I don't see why a pixel layer should not work. Issue logged. 
  3. Slight crop with the vector crop tool enables converting the pixel object to a picture frame - You technically now have a rectangle(shape) that's erasing parts of the image. It's not exactly a pixel layer anymore. 

@Gabe

Thanks kindly.

Affinity Publisher and Photo 1.8.3 (Windows). Lenovo laptop with decidedly sub-optimal monitor. At least it works.
“The wonderful thing about standards is that you can have as many of ’em as you want.”
– Anonymous cynic