You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo: Whiten snow on tree tops.

I am a pretty new user to Affinity Photo. Editing to date has been basic; white balance, levels, etc.  

Attached is the photo being edited. I would like the tree tops, covered in snow, to be a bit whiter so as to stand out some. 

I have not the slightest idea how or if this can be accomplished. 

I have search online for "how to" videos, but have found nothing I think is helpful.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Early_Snow.jpg

Use Layer > New Adjustment Layer > White Balance, the click on the Picker box and select one of the treetops. This will attempt to set the colour of these to white. I did this with your image and got this:

Early_SnowWB.thumb.jpg.593fe8781daba18f164746555cbea3f1.jpg

Not really a great improvement!

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

How about placing a Fill layer with white above the image and then limiting the effect to just the treetops using blend ranges? In this example, I additionally masked out the Fill layer so it only affects the desired parts. As a bonus, I added a blue tint using a Lens Filter adjustment to give the whole scene a colder appearance. It does look unnatural in the foreground because of the bright yellow trees, but this was just a quick example.

early_snowcaps.thumb.jpg.c6f1dac76463291599644e293f7c40b9.jpg