You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

GUI Needs overhaul

I'm running Affinity Photo on a 27-inch iMac and I find the user interface harder to use than other programs.  The gray-on-gray non-color scheme lacks contrast making it hard to see icons, etc.  Also, you have plenty of room to make the icons in the various tool bars at least 50 percent larger.  Please consider that in your next update.  Thanks.

Comparing Photo to Photoshop I do not see much of a difference. Affinity also uses some colour in their tool bars. Not sure which one I prefer, I am leaning towards Photoshop as the grey on darker grey is a bit more preferable for my eyes but that is just a matter of choice. Both seem equally functional from a visual stand point. 

Screen_Shot_2020-06-08_at_1_18.01_PM.png

As you can see, it can't suit everyone.

The only option is to make everything fully configurable so that each user can set everything according to their needs.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

There is a light color scheme available within Preferences, but I would suggest you try adjusting the "UI Gamma" setting first to see if you can find a better contrast level without going quite that far.

Neutral gray as the bulk of the interface is critical for professional applications that deal with image-related manipulation.  Having colorful elements in the UI can throw off the user's perception of the colors within the document itself and be the cause of errors in the results.

for me +1 on this.  I don't need color UI icons, but better contrast with the icons is needed in dark mode for better recognition of elements.  I switch between dark and light UI depending on the ambient light in my work environment and the contrast/color/saturation of the images I am working on.  The light UI has good contrast for quick icon scanning; the dark not so much.

(as an aside I still kinda recall the discussion about this when you launched v1.6  - https://www.designernews.co/stories/79399-is-a-light-or-dark-ui-better: it really seems to come down to preference and content)

• 4 weeks later...

Check: Preferences > user interface
Grayscale is customizable(Gamma)

Other issues waiting to be solved are clearly more pressing and difficult than UI.
(E.g. missing GPU 10 times acceleration in windows. Missing GPU float high quality "stageless variable speed" rotary canvas)

The more restricted you put on the program, the closer you program is to idiot.

• 2 months later...
On 7/6/2020 at 9:32 PM, Aftemplate said:

I vote for you.
The current brush manager is not satisfactory.

Well. today I tried to use the Brush tool for retouching during raw development. Help files left me completely frustrated; this tool to that panel to some tab to some kind of menu and back again… Finally, I imported the raw file into Aperture (limping along on Catalina thanks to Retroactive app) and used the Spot & Patch tool to quickly fix the problem. An important difference is that Aperture's Spot & Patch is found in one adjustment panel. Tools (adjustments, controls) in Affinity Photo seem to be scattered by comparison.

"Overhaul" could mean different things to different people (e.g., I stopped using Photoshop when Aperture 1.5 was released) but I would like to see Affinity Photo's instrumentalities consolidated. Short of that, help files could be improved by showing pictures of items in context, instead of just an icon that leaves the user searching for pieces of the interface, which may vary depending on persona.

7 hours ago, Vulcan said:

"Overhaul" could mean different things to different people

An UX could sort it all out - and should. Monitor this URL and see if Serif will try to hire an UX before Affinity 2.0. My guess is - unfortunately - no:

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/careers/

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

On 9/25/2020 at 11:03 PM, Jowday said:

An UX could sort it all out - and should. Monitor this URL and see if Serif will try to hire an UX before Affinity 2.0. My guess is - unfortunately - no:

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/careers/

I suspect 2.x's UI is fairly well set in stone at this point...

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) Mac OS 13 | 4.2 GHz Quad Core Intel-Core i7 | 64GB Ram | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Adobe Photography (Lightroom and Photoshop) | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2 | Capture One Pro (for now) | Topaz Labs Photography Suite | Fast Raw Viewer | NeoFinder

2 hours ago, KC Honie said:

Without any UX, yes, that is probably true.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

3 hours ago, KC Honie said:

Are you assuming that 2.0 will follow 1.9?

It certainly might, and I have no knowledge of Serif's plans. But at least one Serif staff member has previously mentioned the possibility of 1.10, 1.11, etc.

We really have no idea when Serif will decide it's time for 2.0, and until they announce something I don't think we have any way to know for sure :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

^^^ Yes, I am making the logical assumption that 2.x will follow 1.9.x...

2.x gives Serif a cash infusion.  (I am sure a much needed cash infusion).

There are a number of issues that desperately need to be fixed that logically would not occur with a dot release.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) Mac OS 13 | 4.2 GHz Quad Core Intel-Core i7 | 64GB Ram | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Adobe Photography (Lightroom and Photoshop) | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2 | Capture One Pro (for now) | Topaz Labs Photography Suite | Fast Raw Viewer | NeoFinder

3 hours ago, KC Honie said:

2.x gives Serif a cash infusion.  (I am sure a much needed cash infusion).

If version 2.x does not bring any significant improvement over version 1.x - then who and why would buy this "upgrade" from existing users? So assuming that Serif will just change the main version - to make money, is very short-sighted. For the release of version 2.x (if it should really have a financial benefit) it will definitely have to offer a lot of functional changes and improvements.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

1 hour ago, Pšenda said:

If version 2.x does not bring any significant improvement over version 1.x - then who and why would buy this "upgrade" from existing users? So assuming that Serif will just change the main version - to make money, is very short-sighted. For the release of version 2.x (if it should really have a financial benefit) it will definitely have to offer a lot of functional changes and improvements.

Well it goes without saying that the expectation of 2.x would be a major improvement...

@Ceresede

Welcome to the Affinity forums.

Since your comment refers to the interface on iPad I think you should really post to the dedicated iPad suggestions forum here.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.