You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Creating repeats with live pattern preview goes wrong

When following the steps to make a repeated pattern (see link: https://affinityspotlight.com/article/create-repeat-patterns-with-a-live-pattern-preview-in-affinity-designer-for-ipad/)

The step: 'Fill the edges goes wrong'. When typing -2000 or +2000 the selected object and the original object (unselected) dissapear from the canvas en end op random anywhere outside the screen. For mysterious reasons, this does not happen all the time. Therefor is is not possible to create a repeated pattern as described in this link. Would this me a bug or is there something I do wrong?

"Repeat the same process around the edges of the canvas. Since you type +2000 on the X-axis to move something to the right, you’ll type -2000 to move something to the left. Things you need to move up and down rather than left to right can be adjusted on the Y-axis. If you put something on the corner, it has to be duplicated three times, then moved to each of the four corners using the Transform Tool."

Hi @Fee88

Welcome to the forums, I've taken the repeat pattern tutorial by Liz Kohler Brown and it's really good. Could you attach a video of this happening please and also your file, saved before moving the objects that end up outside the artboard please? I'd like to take a closer look.

Hi @SPaceBar

Thank you for your reply. Attached a video and the file where I show the experienced problems.

First while duplicating an object, the object ends up at another place on the workspace and secondly while transform the object where the results are inconsistent.

The problem seems to happen random, while I am not aware of doing things differently. It also happens while working with other file. 

Psd_file_2.afdesign

On 6/10/2020 at 11:22 AM, Fee88 said:

First while duplicating an object, the object ends up at another place on the workspace

That's the Power Duplicate effect which enables a series of repeatedly transformed (moved, scaled, rotated or skewed) duplicates of an object to be created until the user makes a change of object selection. You duplicated an object, moved the new object and then duplicated that without making a change of selection between the two duplications, and so the newest object was automatically moved.

Hi @Fee88

After looking at the video it does look like the issue there is caused by Power Duplicate. It will copy the distance you used in the previous duplication if you duplicate and move an item and then duplicate it again. If you want to stop the function from repeating this move you can click away to a different object and then back to the one that you want to duplicate. Here is the tutorial on power duplicate: https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/designer/ipad/video/272729523/

However, from taking a closer look at your document I can see there is an issue there with objects moving unexpectedly when duplicating. The development team are aware of it and I have passed your information on to them to them to take a closer look.

• 3 weeks later...