You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Picture frame not responding to properties

I have a picture frame containing a placed jpeg.

After replacing the image with an Affinity Photo file using the resource manager

– the picture frame doesn’t respond to ‘Picture Frame Properities‘ under the ‘Properties‘ button in the context tool bar;

– the ‘Size Picture Frame to Content’ button is greyed out;

– the picture frame shows the two diagonal cross lines like an empty picture frame.

Having replaced the image with an Affinity Photo file using the ‘Replace Image’ button in the context tool bar the picture frame behaves as expected.

Using the resource manager to replace the image with another jpeg of tiff doesn't result in this behaviour.

AfPub 1.8.3 and beta 1.8.4.651, MacOS Mojave

Macbook Pro mid 2015, 16 GB, double barrel: MacOS Mojave + Affinity 1 (+ Adobe’s CS6)/ MacOS Monterey + Affinity 2

I can't reconstruct this issue here.

Do I understand right it happens to you in both v.183 and v184 beta?
Does it happen with any or with a specific .aphoto file only?

Can you upload an .afpub with such a not reacting Picture Frame + an affected .afphoto attached?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

On 6/10/2020 at 1:10 AM, thomaso said:

I can't reconstruct this issue here.

Do I understand right it happens to you in both v.183 and v184 beta?
Does it happen with any or with a specific .aphoto file only?

Can you upload an .afpub with such a not reacting Picture Frame + an affected .afphoto attached?

Yes, I tried in 1.8.3 and beta 1.8.4.165. Both gave the same result.

Same thing in a new file and with different AfPhoto file.

Freshly made example attached.

test123.zip

Macbook Pro mid 2015, 16 GB, double barrel: MacOS Mojave + Affinity 1 (+ Adobe’s CS6)/ MacOS Monterey + Affinity 2

Oh, this strange issue appears to be caused by an .afphoto file format only. Once occurred it seems to alter the picture frame in an unhealthy way also for further replacements and other file formats, and even for replacing via toolbar (which works for .aphoto before replacing via RM).

In this sample I try different replacements and also experience, near the end of the video, a replaced JPG becoming affected and unwanted duplicated when moved in its layer hierarchy. In my sample I have various items inside a picture frame because of a related recent thread I link below.

Here's a recent thread with a similar confusing occurrence: a replaced .afphoto file got duplicated, shows up with 2 different content appearance, and with its original DPI as "-1".

This also makes me wonder whether it is meant by design to be possible at all to place more than one item inside a Picture Frame. – Besides a bunch of layers (and different object types) it additionally is possible to apply a bitmap fill to a picture frame (which, of cause, doesn't occur in the layers panel and isn't touched by a "replace" command). It's not that I want to get rid of these options of layout flexibility, I just wonder whether they may also influence such issues.

1467081252_pictureframebitmapfill.jpg.7a10150c613e4d357a642237d0c13358.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 4 months later...

I ran into a similar issue that appears to be related. I have a background image in a master (the background image was added using the Stock panel). After creating pages using the master, I decided to change the background image in the master. The change did not apply to the pages nor to the child masters. No idea how to re-link items that have become detached from the master without re-creating the master. The images remain grayed out on the pages and child templates (and must be edited by detaching from master).

On 6/11/2020 at 3:11 AM, thomaso said:

This also makes me wonder whether it is meant by design to be possible at all to place more than one item inside a Picture Frame.

I never considered doing that, one frame one picture. I use Photo or Designer to put multiple images together, and then place that file. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hi @RM f/g Sorry for not getting back to you on this sooner. I can see the issue on the document that you uploaded but have not been able to reproduce this myself from a new document. Would you be able to upload a video of the steps you took to get it to this point in the document that you shared please?

@SPaceBar

I recorded a video of replacing a placed jpeg with an AfPhoto file twice.

The first time using the Resource Manager, the second time using the ‘Replace’ button in the context tool bar.

This time in AfPub 1.8.4 retail.

Thanks for looking into this.

• 4 months later...
  • Staff

Please can you try the latest beta 1.9.2.1009 which has a proposed solution to this problem

WIN:

MAC:  

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon