You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Customer Beta (1.8.4.183)

• Staff

Purpose: Features, Improvements, Fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Photo

Mac App Store: Not submitted

Download ZIP: Download

Auto-update: Available

Hello,

We are pleased to announce the immediate availability of the first build of Affinity Photo 1.8.4 for macOS.

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

This beta is an incremental update to the 1.8.3 version recently released to all customers (though it installs parallel to the release, as described above). We recommend that you use this beta in preference to the store version if you are affected by any of the issues listed below.

Affinity Photo Team  :ph34r:

Changes Since 1.8.3

- Integrated x3f-tools project, significantly improving support for X3F RAW.
- Added ability to show folders as icons in the layers panel.
- Added option to always show folders as “small” in the layers panel.

- Improved dragging behaviour in the layers panel.
- PDF import performance improvements.
- Document save performance improvements.
- Detect Edges improved on 32bit documents.

- Lens profile popup might report incorrect state.
- RW2 files can cause a crash.
- Text performance improvements.
- Selection brush width is not remember after being changed using modifier keys.
- Placing RAW files now produces Pixel layers, as opposed to Image layers.
- Fixed reading of XP metadata under certain conditions.
- Fix for Nikon D90 RAW loading issues.
- Fixed High Pass filter when using LAB colour.

- Assorted small bug fixes.

- Help improvements.
- Localisation improvements.

To be notified about all future macOS beta updates, please follow this notification thread 
To be notified when this Photo update comes out of beta and is fully released to all Affinity Photo on macOS customers, please follow this thread

22 hours ago, Andy Somerfield said:

- Added option to always show folders as “small” in the layers panel.

A quick clarification for anyone else who might be initially puzzled over the new "Compact Group Rows" option not seeming to have any effect: it doesn't actually make them any smaller than they were to begin with if you normally have your layers panel on "Small Thumbnails".  If you switch to medium or large thumbnails then this option causes the group layers to remain the same size as when the small thumbnails are used.

23 hours ago, Andy Somerfield said:

Any chance you could clue me in on this one?  It doesn't seem any different to me...  is it only relevant to certain types of layers or something?

23 hours ago, Andy Somerfield said:

- Integrated x3f-tools project, significantly improving support for X3F RAW.

YES, that is a HUGE improvement!  Thank you!

• Staff
7 hours ago, fde101 said:
On 6/8/2020 at 11:06 AM, Andy Somerfield said:

Any chance you could clue me in on this one?  It doesn't seem any different to me...  is it only relevant to certain types of layers or something?

It's one of those improvement that I'm hoping will have no noticeable difference to the majority of users. When it works it should be invisible. Basically, if your node is a child object, it will attempt to keep it within the same parent (keeping it inside the group if possible) no matter where you initiate the drag.

12 minutes ago, HenkF said:

No 'improved' compatibility with Apple Photo's???

Not on the list for this round means we have no idea if it will show up by the end of the 1.8.4 beta cycle.

It is common that the first beta for an upcoming version will have a seemingly small number of things on it, then the next will add a few more, etc., until we get close to the release.

Given that there is not currently a Designer beta out, my guess is we will probably see at least one more Photo beta with a few more additions before they go into polishing mode - but I obviously don't know that for sure.

Whether or not Photos compatibility makes the list for 1.8.4, even Serif might not know at this point... and if they do, they probably won't tell us until it shows up in some future beta.

"Added ability to show folders as icons in the layers panel" - wow, thanks a lot!!!

I see really huge speedup when working with heavy files (many groups in groups with effects, etc) with this option enabled. Seems lagging was heavily connected to this thumbnail generation (which is not really needed for work, layer thumbs are more than enough)

Zoom value (top left) still doesn't update when using zoom tool... There are still many more important bugs probably :(

In sense of rendering graphic on retina while painting pixelmator or Ps still win. Saying that as fan I only wish this to be fixed.

Looking forward,

thank you!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.