You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paste in Place on Facing Pages

Hi,

This is probably a really dumb question, so apologies in advance!...

But how do you paste in place onto a facing page? I really love the default setting of pasting in place - but how to paste from a page on the left onto the page on the right?

I've managed it here (attached image), but in a really convoluted way - I copied the text on the left page, then I moved the right page to the left, pasted in place, then moved the page back to the right. 

Is there a more efficient way of doing this?

Sorry, I'm sure this is so straightforwards, but I'm new to Publisher.

Facing Pages.jpg

I don’t think you can easily do what you want.
The paste function takes the spread as the place you are pasting to and so the pasted layer is placed exactly where it was originally.
If you want the same thing in the same place on multiple pages then you might be able to use master pages – depending on your precise requirements – but I’m pretty sure you can’t do what you want on a normal spread.
I’d be happy to learn otherwise though.

Thanks Garry. I do use masters. It's just that sometimes it may just be a couple of pages that you want to have the same image/text in the same place (not all pages). My workaround that I stated initially isn't too time consuming tbh. I was just wondering if I was missing a trick?...

You’re welcome.
It might be worth saying that you don’t need to apply a master page to every page, only the pages you want to use it on.
My example was just to show that you can use the same thing on all pages if you need to.
If you don’t need to use a master page on a ‘normal’ page then just don’t apply it or, if it’s already applied and you don’t want it to be, then remove it via the Layers Panel (right-click and choose Delete).

A paste in place on the right-hand page would be exactly 1 page width (pw) added to the X coordinate

So, you could do a normal paste (which will place it on the left-hand page) then add +pw to the existing value in the X coordinate in the Transform panel

The only problem is that variables such as pw dont appear to work on facing pages, only on single pages

But if you knew your page width (e.g. 210mm) you could use +210mm instead of the much simpler method of using +pw (which would work on any size of document)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

A simple trick, easy to use and discard is using a rectangle (or more) as mesurement:

2020-06-07_152530.png.7dcb5f8809bca32014dfbb3e9e8bb855.png

You can even have blank ones staying on pages, nobody but you will see them while working.

2020-06-07_153040.png.e7adc9ed3a6e50ecc0922266b2d78995.png

Edited by Wosven
Added second picture

• 3 years later...