You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Setting white, mid (grey) and black points

How is this done in Affinity Photo?

I'm aware of the white balance adjustment layer where I can set a white point in the image and it will adjust the colour balance of the image. Is there a way to also do this for the mid (grey) and black points?

Is there a colour picker where I can click in the image and it will leave a "picker stamp" on the image and show the RGB and/or CMYK values in the info palette?

Cheers,

Paul

Cheers,

Paul Zab | https://www.paulzabphoto.com

• 1 year later...

Yes, I'm interested in this, too.

I've found a white point setting in the Develop Persona, but I'm not sure if there is an easier, better way to do it.

Nor have I found any way to set a grey, or black, point, but I'm sure it is there somewhere!

Hi Pat

You can set average points in the Develop Persona (which you can enter at any time from the Photo Persona) and using the White Balance tool. It doesn't have to be a white point, just neutral. Shift click to add additional "average" points. The status bar at the bottom will tell you how many you have set.

Click drag outside the image to remove them all and start again.

In Photo Persona, open a White Balance Adjustment Layer, click on "Picker" and click with the cross hairs on a neutral point. Again it does not have to be white. Not as sophisticated as the Develop Persona tool though.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• Staff
On 8/4/2015 at 8:10 AM, paulzabphoto said:

Is there a colour picker where I can click in the image and it will leave a "picker stamp" on the image and show the RGB and/or CMYK values in the info palette?

Go to menu View ▸ Studio ▸ Info to display the Info panel then drag and drop the target icon on canvas where you want to leave the "picker stamp". Click the first icon (a little above the target one) to change the colour format. To add additional samplers click the small menu icon on the top right of the Info panel and select Add New Sampler.

Perhaps not quite the same, but I often use Levels to adjust black, white and mid-tones (gamma).

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi MEB,

Thanks for your reply. 

Related to this, I'll paste here a feature request that I posted in that part of the forum . . .

________ ________ ______ ________ ________ ______

Hi Hard-Working Affinity Team :),

Any chance of getting the ability to record (as Macros) adding new sampler points?

When I start colour correcting an image, I frequently add a Threshold and Curves adjustment layer (which I have recorded as a Macro).

On the end of this macro, I would like the ability to record adding three sampler points to the Info box down the bottom right-hand side of the screen. This would speed up my colour correction workflow, as all I would have to do from then, is place the sampler points on the highlight, neutral and shadow areas of my image.

Cheers,

Cheers,