You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

DXF/DWG Integration

Just in case my post in the other long thread was lost, I decided to make another one to bump and spotlight my offer:

Ok it seems that there are no incentives to get you to finally get this feature in, so I would like to know if making a donation of $20,000 would help change your mind and actually introduce this ability in the software stack. I understand that this is not that much money compared to to your regular expenses, but please accept my offer to show a genuine need for this. 

Just to get a little bit of a background, I have tried several several CAD programs, unfortunately they are all horrible applications, and honestly I would not be surprised if they were built all off of the same engine, because they behave exactly the same, are extremely clunky and the performance on every single one of them is horrible. (I have a 24core xeon Mac Pro with 128GB of RAM and 2 extremely high end video cards... so this is not because of my hardware, I assure you) I enjoy the affinity program and the tools it offers, but I need to be able to export my technical drawings with their dimensional information and I cannot at the moment.

To say that this is a necessary feature is an understatement, I actually NEED this to run my business and the workarounds to get this done are laughable and very cost inefficient.

Please, at least say if you really are going to release this and if its anytime soon, I really want to use this program.

Edited by M44

Also, sorry for making it repetitive, but my offer that has already been on the table for a very long time now, might not be here for much longer. The reason as I stated in the other post is that we have invested in CorelDraw for the interim, and will not be able to revert everything back if the integration is not done within a reasonable time.

Offer may still be on the table for 2-3 weeks from today. (The change doesn't have to be completed by then, I just want a confirmation that it would at-least be put into the queue.

Hi all, I would really appreciate this feature from Affinity Designer as well. I need to export to DXF/DWG files for laser cutting purposes. My business is also dependent on doing this and I REALLY DON'T want to be caught back up in a subscription with Adobe again! So please Serif People... Can you add this feature! I love your programs and want to stick with you!

On 6/6/2020 at 7:48 PM, M44 said:

Ok it seems that there are no incentives to get you to finally get this feature in, so I would like to know if making a donation of $20,000 would help change your mind

Dear @M44,

with all due respect and no offense taken I find it irritating that you start a new thread on a topic that was going on for more than 200 posts in that all was said about this topic that can be said. This just makes the forum more cluttered.

And waving with dollar notes is even more irritating to me. But maybe this is just me 😉

On 6/6/2020 at 7:48 PM, M44 said:

Please, at least say if you really are going to release this and if its anytime soon, I really want to use this program.

I can assure you (and I am just a forum user without any inside knowledge) Serif will for certain not comment here in public on such a 'business proposal'.
If you are seriously interested I'd suggest to contact Serif directly.

And for any further contributions on the topic please return to the original thread.

Thank you.
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

I definitely thought about it, and yes, I partially agree with you.

You follow your statement with exactly why I reposted this in the first place, and it's because no, were not being heard. 

This request has been here for over 5 years, everyone is very anxious to get this feature in, just look at its following and heavy activity.

I posted this here because I want them to acknowledge my offer and the fact that everyone has been asking nicely for 5 full years to simply get a "hint" that this may come into place.

They don't need tp publicly accept my offer, that was not the point. the point was to get their attention somehow and even if a response in private was received, then that is good enough.

You really don't think I have emailed them about this? You really think that we have not exhausted all our options and are reaching a dead end? Honestly, that is what is more irritating than me reposting, is the fact that you can't even see the struggle.

Indeed I am waving my money, and I am protesting to be heard, why does that bother you so much in a forum that is dedicated to talk about these off topic type posts. You really got irritated/offended that you saw another post talking about the same feature? Because there are zero duplicates of any of these types of posts in this whole forum right?

We have emailed them, we have tweeted them, we have been posting aggressively in this forum to get it, and we are not even getting a wink that anything is going to happen, so yes, trying to get their attention using another tactic is something that is inevitable.

I'll delete this post immediately if anyone else expresses the same concern.

However.... I do get the feeling that many people are siding with me on this.

14 hours ago, M44 said:

You really don't think I have emailed them about this?

Thanks for giving this information. Since you did not mention it at first I did not assume you already did.

14 hours ago, M44 said:

We have emailed them, we have tweeted them, we have been posting aggressively in this forum to get it, and we are not even getting a wink that anything is going to happen

Maybe then you already got an answer? Maybe a silent one.

Anyway, I wish you good luck with your endavour. Seriously. I do not object the benefit of having DXF as an import and export format to AD.

Please note that I put a 'wink' emoticon after my irritation to express that I may be a little over sensitive to what you offered in your post. It's just not what I usually see around here.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

M44,

I'd really like to help you out here. So just send me the $20,000 and I will promptly send you an upper-midrange Windows workstation with Corel Technical Designer installed.

That will provide your mission-critical DXF import—and a whole lot more to boot—without your even having to wait for a DXF import filter to be added to Affinity.

Just think of how far that will put you ahead of all your competition. They will still be sitting idle, unable to conduct business due to lack of the same business-critical need.

I'm not joking. I'm as serious here as you are.

JET

1 hour ago, JET_Affinity said:

M44,

I'd really like to help you out here. So just send me the $20,000 and I will promptly send you an upper-midrange Windows workstation with Corel Technical Designer installed.

That will provide your mission-critical DXF import—and a whole lot more to boot—without your even having to wait for a DXF import filter to be added to Affinity.

Just think of how far that will put you ahead of all your competition. They will still be sitting idle, unable to conduct business due to lack of the same business-critical need.

I'm not joking. I'm as serious here as you are.

JET

I this really the answer we get from the Affinity Team?

After all your loyal customers have stuck around and are constantly voicing their needs in regards to this feature, you come around and advise this?

We all have macs, and all of us have alternate software on macs to very easily import/export DXF. If your advice is to switch to Windows and use another software to deal with this, then you have taken our existing cumbersome process and turned it even more ridiculous. You are also very clearly oblivious to what our need is in the first place if your advice is to do something completely and utterly retarded.

As I have mentioned before I already have CoreDraw 2020, which at this point is the better software and I'm sticking with that. I advise everyone else to move on and do the same as it seems that this low priority change will actually never be released. They have way more important things to do like change their logos and splash screens.

I'm out.

21 hours ago, M44 said:

I'm not the Affinity Team. Just a user of Affinity and whatever other software I happen to need to most efficiently get my work done.

As I've said in the other thread on this subject, I'm confident a DXF import filter will be added to Affinity when its developers deem it appropriate. Meanwhile, that certainly doesn't prevent my using Affinity for all the things it can do.

So yes, my " completely and utterly retarded" advice to you is: If you really can't get your work done with Affinity software just because it does not yet have a DXF import filter, then keep your business running using whatever combination of software tools will meet requirements—just like countless companies that have been routinely importing DXF files since long before anyone even heard of Affinity—instead of making silly grandstand plays like 'offering $20,000' in an online user forum.

JET

On 6/10/2020 at 11:02 AM, M44 said:

After all your loyal customers have stuck around and are constantly voicing their needs in regards to this feature, you come around and advise this?

We all have macs, and all of us have alternate software on macs to very easily import/export DXF. If your advice is to switch to Windows and use another software to deal with this, then you have taken our existing cumbersome process and turned it even more ridiculous. You are also very clearly oblivious to what our need is in the first place if your advice is to do something completely and utterly retarded.

As I have mentioned before I already have CoreDraw 2020, which at this point is the better software and I'm sticking with that. I advise everyone else to move on and do the same as it seems that this low priority change will actually never be released. They have way more important things to do like change their logos and splash screens.

I'm out.

Why are you so determined to use this software rather than the one that already has the feature you need?