You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I see this topic has been raised already but with no solution, so I’ll add my three-penny bit worth. I have just exported a large file to PDF and the PDF file size is 3.32 GB . Gosh golly thought I.
I created the same file exactly in InDesign and exported that. Same page size, same number of pages, same images already converted to CMYK with a profile, same text, same PDF option.  The InDesign PDF file size is 1.03 GB
A file size of 3.32 GB is unworkable at my end.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Duncanwh,

My apologies for the delayed response here!

We're aware that Affinity Publishers PDF export is not perfect and we're working hard to improve this. The issue reported here certainly does seem strange, as I wouldn't expect such a file size difference provided the export settings are the same.

Could you please upload a copy of your Affinity Publisher document, your InDesign document & all resources used to the following link for me?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/rN1vPzxfGotGPbj6XNOf

Once completed, please reply here to let me know & provide a screenshot of your export settings for both applications.

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I noticed an unexpected large PDF size in APub if the resources are placed in 100% size + the involved DPI (resources + document) are equal. Then the resources appear not to get recompressed even if the compression quality is set quite low.

It appeared that changing for instance the output DPI from 300 to 299 it enables the JPG re-compression and results in a smaller PDF. Unfortunately Gabe did some tests with different, partially opposite results, so it may currently need kind of try & error to achieve smaller high resolution PDFs.

Additionally the resource file type seems to possibly prevent from JPG compressing on export. For instance resources which aren't initially JPG compressed (e.g. TIF) may get exported as ZIP compressed. As a workaround for those you could currently rasterize their layer before export (or choose "rasterize all" on export).

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Hello,
I had to throw away that file of 3GB. At that size it was unusable so I made a new layout in InDesign.  In any case I could hardly send off the files.  At a total of more than 4 GB, with my broadband speed it would take about 9 hours.
It was a large document; 12” x 12”, 240 pages with an image on each page.
I exported both at PDF/X-3-2003.  Images were all at 300ppi and converted to CMYK via a profile. I did not adjust any settings, assuming they would already have been set to optimum for reproduction.

What document color space was your .afpub?

Did you notice on export settup that in APub's default X-3 preset the compression quality is set to 98% ? That may result in larger file size compared to the original image files if they were saved with a lower compression rate.

Can you upload an .afpub with 1 linked image + the image file + exported PDF for a test and investigation? I'd like to detect what creates such a big export file size.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1