You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bug-Report: Publisher always crashes when opening a specific file.

On 6/22/2020 at 12:59 AM, xman said:

to see if I can edit images out of the document,

On 6/27/2020 at 6:28 PM, xman said:

when I open the full document in photo to edited a picture

On 6/28/2020 at 12:00 PM, xman said:

However in this particular instance, I was working in designer and only opened publisher to add or remove columns.

Sounds confusing. First your goal was to edit an image and you opened an .afpub in APhoto, then "in this particular instance" you opened an .afdesign in APub to edit a text frame? Were you talking above about two entirely different situations and tasks? Or even three, since you seem then to look for a way to edit an Affinity file in a text editor app? – Are your posts still related to this threads title "Publisher always crashes when opening a specific file." ?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Yeah, I'm sure I didn't do a great job explaining my problem. Though I think all the info is there. So thanks for the specific questions.

First your goal was to edit an image and you opened an .afpub in APhoto

Not accurate. I did need to edit a image, but it was from afdesign and the image was embedded. Sadly as far as I know afdesign doesn't have resources management like afpub.

then "in this particular instance" you opened an .afdesign in APub to edit a text frame?

This is correct. This was the only reason I needed afpub. Some time if the last setting you had as the from whatever you had worked on remain the default. So in my case when I went to make a text fame in afdesign I was presented with a 2 column frame. though sometime handy, I was only in need of a single/no column frame. There is no way to change this in afdesign.

Were you talking above about two entirely different situations and tasks?

Yes. Through my separate post I did end up asking about a few things looking for possible solutions. I can understand how this could be confusing to some, I figured that someone here may know.

Or even three, since you seem then to look for a way to edit an Affinity file in a text editor app?

Yes. As a last ditch effort I though maybe just maybe when I read in a different thread but similar topic that they solved their issue by editing the linked photo info inside the actually file. I'm fairly computer literate, so I thought this could be a path to recovering a file faster then recreating it.

Are your posts still related to this threads title "Publisher always crashes when opening a specific file." ?

Yes. I believe so since the app(s) crashes immediately when I open the damaged file. Additionally since I was required to use afpub to remove something from afdesign, it became part of the workflow during this project.

So to recap this was issue is partly confusing because it was never the goal to use afpub during this project. Perhaps afdesign should allow you to at least remove added columns from afpub or not retain the setting. I understood and already used most of the ways that were suggested to edit photos (thanks again for sharing), in this case I was coming from afdesign. I love the way AF apps have this synergy between them, but sometime I wish one program can handle just a few more things.

Anyway I hope this answers your questions and brings clarity to my posts. I've already recreated my lost work and added an additional more frequent backup to my workflow now. So hopefully I can recover faster if this happens again or just avoid it.

Lastly, I always appreciate knowledge ... from workflow, lesser know features or whatever. So thanks for the engagement. I do believe that I have exhausted the solutions in this case.

cheers

Thanks for your explanations, yes, indeed they make it someway more clear why the topics in your posts appeared to me like jumping around in this thread. Forums support might be more successful if you don't mix various issues in one thread, and continue an existing only if it exactly meets the initially posted problem.

In case you want to discuss your experience "when I went to make a text fame in afdesign I was presented with a 2 column frame" you could start an according topic in the Affinity Questions Forum. In my opinion AD will not create text frames with more than 1 column.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1