You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Geometry add for letters doesn’t quite work

I have a font I use in AD (Samantha) on my iPad that I need to “weld” so it will cut out on my laser. When I use Geometry Add it leaves the middle of the letters like L the same color fill, not blank. I’ve tried setting the layer to Alternate vs Winding and it looks fine in AD but when I bring it into my UI for the laser, it has the same problem. It’s got a fill where it shouldn’t. It doesn’t matter whether I convert it to curves first or not. How do get the letters to connect as one unit and get the blank space on the middle of the letters to be correct. I’m baffled as it why it’s not working. On the photo the R isn’t connected so it’s ok. The rest of the letters are connected and you see what happens.

Cathe

9BEA56AF-A98C-4EE2-99C0-C45A6728FD03.png

E826F627-E384-492D-8E7B-21A8B9148D7C.png

1 hour ago, flossqueen said:

I’m baffled as it why it’s not working.

Hi Cathe, could the issue be with the laser ui?
What part of the image is cut away, the pink area? If so the laser would then have to leave an unconnected area of whatever is being cut to represent the open spaces in the letter loops. Perhaps it’s not able to do that.

I’m not familiar with the process but if the end result is meant to be a rectangle with the word  ‘Relaxation' cut out, there would be nothing to keep the letters loop fills in place. 

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Ignore the rectangle. It’s just here I highlighted   the area. The point is the e, o, l a and the swirl at the end should not be pink in the inner section. It should be transparent. I’m actually engraving  the letters vs cutting them out. If I set the layer Fill in Ad to winding vs alternate, it looks just like what the UI sees. So something is getting screwed up in the SVG file out of AD. This is Winding fill in AD.

6C2B75A1-EE2C-4C40-AFB4-A67F63458521.png

1 hour ago, flossqueen said:

If I set the layer Fill in Ad to winding vs alternate, it looks just like what the UI sees.

Ok I see what you mean. I tried the Add operation on text and winding/alternate had no effect, however when I subtracted the text from a coloured background the alternate/winding effected the fills. The outcomes are not even consistent. Two attempts, two different results.

7A2A94B4-6FEA-450B-B6B7-3C3D67C52E2B.png

E0B427BF-20F3-4F94-9B2A-ED62A03ADA0D.png

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 3 months later...

I’m still seeing this problem even with 1.8.4.4 of the iOS app. I type the text (same Samantha font), covert it to curves and add the letters to “weld” them. In Winding mode I can see the fills it leaves, in Alternate mode it looks ok in AD. But when I open that in the UI for my laser the fills between the letters are still there even thigh they don’t show in AD.

I can do this fine in other tools on my Windows laptop. But AD on iOS at least just screws it up consistently. Will this ever get fixed? 

F3981E24-D622-4640-9133-414731401BAA.png

2B57D376-D5E4-4D6C-9BA9-336ED9F30A5A.jpeg

I've attached both. When I create this same test in Silhouette Studio on my Windows laptop I don’t get the fill problems. I don’t own AD for Windows so I can’t check to see if it’s a common AD issue or just on iOS. Samantha is a popular font for signage and such in the laser world due to its plethora of glyphs.

WeldTest.afdesign cathetest.svg

• 4 months later...