You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Font Size Changes When Creating a Second Object From Symbols Studio

I'm not sure is this is a bug or user error but I run into whenever I try to use Symbols.

I create symbol from the footer of artboard 1 to duplicate and sync on footers of other artboards. I can create the symbol fine but when I drag the newly created symbol from the Symbols Studio panel to artboard 2, the text becomes a much smaller font size. If I try to correct the font size in the artboard 2 footer symbol, the font size in the artboard 1 footer symbol is increased.

I've attached a screenshot as well as a Designer file.

Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 5.08.02 PM.png

Symbols Problem.afdesign

If you create a text-based symbol on an Artboard that has previously been resized by using the outer bottom-right resizing handle (not the normal bottom-right handle) then the font size in the symbol will no longer match that of the original text you just used to create the symbol.

I suspect this is what you are seeing or something equally quirky

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

@carl123

That's a good thing to know! In my case though, these artboards were all created via a PDF import without any manual resizing ... which still may be causing the quirkiness.

I should also mention there are constraints applied to the 2 text boxes in question. 

• Staff

Hi anthony.t,

It certainly sounds as though there is some form of scaling (that is not visible) being imported from the PDF, that is causing the problems you're seeing as carl123 has said. I can recreate this on a new document by scaling the Artboard.

Would it be possible for you to attach a copy of the PDF please?

I've attached the original PDF file that was created and exported from ArcGIS. The symbol in question I created from scratch within Designer. Basically I recreated the footer and frame you'll see in the PDF which is comprised of several text shape layers. I then grouped all those elements and created a symbol from that group. The weird text scaling comes about when I drag the symbol to the second artboard.

Also, thank you.

Demo_Scaling.pdf

• Staff

Thank you very much for the PDF - at a guess I think there is some scaling factors being imported from the PDF, but I can't actually delve deep enough to see. I will pass it on to development to investigate what is happening!

I did find that if you draw out a new Artboard and drag those objects on to it (prior to making them a symbol), when you then make a symbol from them the scaling will be correct.

Thanks again!

Thanks @Sean P

Your suggestion worked! I drew out a new artboard and created the footer group on the new board. Created a symbol from that group and I'm successfully able to drag that symbol onto the other artboards and they sync perfectly. I still can't figure out where the scaling comes from but this solution is very helpful!