You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to hide the blue outlines around a selection?

Question relates to Affinity Photo but probably is the same in Designer.

In photoshop, I believe I used CTRL-H for this....

When I'm moving an asset around, it's hard to see it because of the blue outline or box (or dots) around it, is there a way to hide these on something I've selected temporarily?

Thanks

There is normally a context menu for the tool selected and on that context menu is an eye Icon like this.

1180168909_ScreenShot2020-06-05at18_35_29.png.d19a5e2601f48d4c00706bfb19f85302.png
selecting it will hide the blue box as you move an object.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, natv said:

Thanks for the reply. So I do see that 'eye' icon and it works when I'm moving an object. But that's the only time I see the eye, is there no way to hide the selection when doing other things?

I don't think there is 😞

I will add a feature request for an option to hide it while doing some adjustments etc.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

10 hours ago, natv said:

is there no way to hide the selection when doing other things?

What other things?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 6/14/2020 at 2:03 PM, walt.farrell said:

What other things?

Several. Fx selecting an object - especially smaller ones - in a complex drawing and previewing several layer blend modes - the blue outline is in the way, distracting.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the questions: if I want to hide the selection while I'm moving an object, I toggle on the "eye" icon. If I want to hide the selection temporarily to see my design without the selection getting in the way, I just press the spacebar (on a Mac, at least).

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)| MacOS (Probably latest stable build)

Affinity Designer|Affinity Photo|Affinity Publisher

3 hours ago, appearsharmless said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the questions: if I want to hide the selection while I'm moving an object, I toggle on the "eye" icon. If I want to hide the selection temporarily to see my design without the selection getting in the way, I just press the spacebar (on a Mac, at least).

It re-appears the second you do something - fx change layer blend mode. So it is constantly in the way when I - fx - preview many blend modes.

We need at setting that hides it like hiding guides until we chose to show it again.

1 hour ago, Jowday said:

It re-appears the second you do something - fx change layer blend mode. So it is constantly in the way when I - fx - preview many blend modes.

We need at setting that hides it like hiding guides until we chose to show it again.

Hmmm... I can hold down the spacebar and use the down-arrow key on my extended keyboard to flip through and view the different blend modes without seeing the selection. That said, I'm definitely in favor of a setting that would toggle the visibility of selections on and off 👍

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)| MacOS (Probably latest stable build)

Affinity Designer|Affinity Photo|Affinity Publisher

14 minutes ago, appearsharmless said:

Hmmm... I can hold down the spacebar and use the down-arrow key on my extended keyboard to flip through and view the different blend modes without seeing the selection. That said, I'm definitely in favor of a setting that would toggle the visibility of selections on and off 👍

Yes, all I want is the smart way, not the hard way. Solutions like holding down the spacebar, using both mouse buttons simultaneously... argh, it is clumsy, uncomfortable solutions . And I can already hear my Lenovo laptop keyboard (bios) go beep like it is nuts.

On 6/20/2020 at 5:06 PM, Jowday said:

Several. Fx selecting an object - especially smaller ones - in a complex drawing and previewing several layer blend modes - the blue outline is in the way, distracting.

The blue rectangle or the outline is also visible (and often in the way) when I adjust the layer opacity. I do that quite often.