You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Standard Brush Paint Mixing (APhoto)

Hi everyone, something I do not know how to do in Affinity Photo is for a standard brush to pick up / naturally mix with paint already on the canvas.  Some of the brushes in Clip Studio Paint do this; no blending tool or special mixer brush required.  It's what I would expect for an experience that mimics acrylic painting on traditional media.  For some reason, I am not able to get the Paint Mixer Brush to behave the way I want: as a normal brush that naturally mixes with what's underneath.  I might just not know the settings to use to mimic this effect.  Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

You would need to use the dedicated Paint Mixer Brush as it has options to load and clean the brush. You can associate a brush with a particular tool, on the General tab, including the Paint Mixer Tool. In doing this you'll see that tools icon appear next to the brush sample on the Brushes panel. This means when this brush is selected it will auto select that tool and have its options available.

You could also try using the Smudge tool as well.