You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have created a line in Designer and written text along. I now wish to get rid of the white line on which the text sits. I seem incapable of doing so without deleting the words too. This much be straightforward but I can't seem to do it. Can anyone help?
Thanks!
Phil

ScreenHunter 154.jpg

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

That's odd, Phil. In Designer the stroke of the path is supposed to be removed automatically when the path is converted to a Text Path.

Perhaps you could remove the stroke from the path before you convert it? Otherwise, if you have Publisher, you can open the file in Publisher and use the Text Frame panel to remove the stroke.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

When something is converted to a Text Path, the “path” part should become invisible when not selected, even if it had a stroke size & colour applied before.
Could it be possible that you have a duplicate of the line used for the path before it was converted to a Text Path. And it’s the duplicate that you are still seeing?

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

6 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

That's odd, Phil. In Designer the stroke of the path is supposed to be removed automatically when the path is converted to a Text Path.

Perhaps you could remove the stroke from the path before you convert it? Otherwise, if you have Publisher, you can open the file in Publisher and use the Text Frame panel to remove the stroke.

This worked as a workaround, thanks (going into Publisher) but no, it definitely keeps the line. I use the pen tool to make a line, select artistic text, click and write on the line, click away with the Move tool and the line remains. Is that what you are doing?

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

10 hours ago, Phil_rose said:

This worked as a workaround, thanks (going into Publisher) but no, it definitely keeps the line. I use the pen tool to make a line, select artistic text, click and write on the line, click away with the Move tool and the line remains. Is that what you are doing?

Yes, that works for me. The stroke disappears as soon I click on the path with the Artistic Text Tool. There have been complaints about that before, as some users want to keep the stroke, and the only way to accomplish that in Designer is to duplicate the path, and convert one of them. The other one then supplies the stroke.

Can you supply your .afdesign file, saved with History?

Edit: On the other hand, there have also been reports, I think, of Designer's defaults getting "stuck" and either the background or stroke remaining after converting a path to path text. So perhaps you just need to set some Artistic Text up as you want, and use Synchronize Defaults from Selection.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

If you have started or edited the Designer document in Publisher at any time it's very easy to get "stuck" in the situation where the stroke is then not removed when adding text to a curve in Designer

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

8 hours ago, carl123 said:

If you have started or edited the Designer document in Publisher at any time it's very easy to get "stuck" in the situation where the stroke is then not removed when adding text to a curve in Designer

Weird. That's a bug, I assume? I did start in Publisher.

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

39 minutes ago, Phil_rose said:

Weird. That's a bug, I assume? I did start in Publisher.

I'm not sure it's a bug. As Publisher has the ability to keep the stroke and background color, it defaults to keeping them. If you save the document in Publisher that default is probably set for the document, and then applies if you do further edits in Designer (which does not have the ability to set those options, but evidently believes them if set by Publisher).

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm not sure it's a bug. As Publisher has the ability to keep the stroke and background color, it defaults to keeping them. If you save the document in Publisher that default is probably set for the document, and then applies if you do further edits in Designer (which does not have the ability to set those options, but evidently believes them if set by Publisher).

OK. Seems like an omission rather than a... well, no. If it removes the line in Designer but NOT if you started in Publisher.. that seems like a bug. What I want is for it to behave like CoreDRAW. As you can see from the screenshot, it creates the text as a sub- object of the curve if that makes sense! 

ScreenHunter 156.jpg

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Hmm that makes sense as an explanation if it is like this in such a case. However, as far as APub can be configured to treat that in the same way and manner as ADesigner, then it's a matter of configuration and how defaults are initially setup, so both behave equally here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

On 6/4/2020 at 7:18 PM, Phil_rose said:

I now wish to get rid of the white line on which the text sits.

When starting in APub did you ever assign the white color to the text frame of your path text? Or did it occur in AD only, sort of by itself, or even when changing the text color? If in AD only then I agree this seems like a bug.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

On 6/5/2020 at 4:04 PM, thomaso said:

When starting in APub did you ever assign the white color to the text frame of your path text? Or did it occur in AD only, sort of by itself, or even when changing the text color? If in AD only then I agree this seems like a bug.

I THINK I did it all in AD

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

What happens if you re-do the process, do you get the white line again? If yes, at what stage (after which action) does it occur?

I'm not sure but I think you may be misunderstanding what is happening. Let me try to explain it again and see if I can do a better job.

I open Publisher and then switch to Designer. I then get the pen tool and draw a line. I then get the text tool and hover over that line until it turns into an I beam. I then click and type. The line remains intact and the same, as it was when I drew it as in the screenshot attached. If I then returned to Publisher I can change the properties of the line to make them non-existent. If I try within the Designer persona to change the properties (I'm attaching a screenshot that shows what happens when I make the stroke red and larger) it affects the letters but not the line which remains as it was, black.

If I open Designer as a stand-alone application and draw a black line with the pen and then do the same thing to add some text the line that I'm drawing on disappears. If I go to the node tool I am able to adjust the beginning and end of the line. If I select this object (the invisible line and the text) and change the properties it only affects a text.

So it seems like the workaround if you are using Designer but starting by creating the item in Publisher is to create the object in Designer, go to Publisher and remove the line in the Text Frame palette. This definitely seems like a bug. Shouldn't this action work the same in Designer whether one starts from Designer or from Publisher? 

The third screenshot I have added shows what CorelDRAW does which would be ideal. It makes the line and the text as two separate objects and nests them.

ScreenHunter 157.jpg

ScreenHunter 156.jpg

ScreenHunter 159.jpg

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

Indeed odd. Possibly the concept is that when you switch in Publisher to Designer Persona it is expected you do it for a task you can't do in APub. Text on path isn't such a task, instead you have less options when doing it in AD, however the stroke might be maintained in purpose because your visit in AD is expected to be temporary and that way you will get access to this path via the text frame panel in APub. Yes, a bit complex thoughts.

However, an object like this – no fill, no stroke - may confuse in AD. But instead to get this stroke disappearing in AD I would prefer to have an UI for access the stroke ...

152392387_ADtextpathnostrokenofill.jpg.9c9b70d8af69563a39f375ce42cc9fce.jpg

... whereas, honestly, the layers panel tells directly what's going on and how to solve it in APub:

1046938674_ADtextpathnostrokenofill-2.jpg.5f1bc61fa2989894a67c179674428e09.jpg

Another appearance which might confuse you with text on path is the selection rectangle when no text exists on the path, as shown in this clip:

Indeed odd. Possibly the concept is that when you switch in Publisher to Designer Persona

But Phil didn't say he switched to the Designer Persona. He said he switched to Designer.

-- Walt
PC:

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

But Phil didn't say he switched to the Designer Persona. He said he switched to Designer.

@walt.farrell, a little later he said ...

4 hours ago, Phil_rose said:

I try within the Designer persona (...)

and another little later he obviously distinguishes between persona and stand alone, whereas in stand alone AD his experience was as expected ...

4 hours ago, Phil_rose said:

If I open Designer as a stand-alone application and draw a black line with the pen and then do the same thing to add some text the line that I'm drawing on disappears.

12 hours ago, Phil_rose said:

I open Publisher and then switch to Designer.

Do you mean you switch to Publisher's Designer Persona or switch from the Affinity Publisher application to the Affinity Designer application (typically via File > Edit in Designer...)? They are not the same thing. At least for me, they produce different results depending on in which app the conversion to a text path object is done:

• If the curve is converted in the Publisher app then there is no change in the curve's visibility.
  • If the curve is converted in the Designer app then the curve's visibility is removed.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

It reminds me of this 'inconsistency' which can be felt as an additional feature or as a bug, too:

Designer has no Text Frame panel (& never has) so if one works only in Designer for this conversion there is no inconsistency. There is also no inconsistency if one has both Publisher & Designer since it is then always possible to use Publisher's Text Frame panel to modify a text path object's properties, including its visibility.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

There is also no inconsistency if one has both Publisher & Designer

The inconsistency is in two different results for one task: to convert an object into a text frame – depending on the workflow. In my linked example I would not mind to have both options but it appeared to get judged & logged as a bug. Since the Text On Path function also converts an object into a text frame the different behavior might happen to get judged as bug, too. – And again I personally would prefer to keep it as it currently is: enabling me to cause two different results.

54 minutes ago, thomaso said:

The inconsistency is in two different results for one task ...

Apart from the Mac bug you mentioned in the other topic, the results are consistent with the features included in each of the two apps. Designer does not offer any way to change the attributes of the converted curve (other than those related to its nodes) so as it always has done, on conversion it hides it. Publisher does offer several ways to change the curve's attributes so it does not hide any of its visible attributes (if there are any).

Of course, Designer does not hide the converted curve if it has been given any visible attributes in Publisher. I think that is logically consistent with what most users would expect because it is a deliberate action & it would be quite annoying if Designer hid the curve just because the document was open in Designer instead of Publisher.

It would be different if Designer included ways to change the attributes. From what the staff have said there has been some consideration given to doing that but AFAIK no decision or eta has been announced about that.

Affinity Photo 

R C-R, no need to convince me. You just confirm what I expressed yesterday in my post with the screenshots. I agree, the different behaviors make sense and are useful.
(while to me also the different behavior depending on the tool when converting an object to text frame can be useful, so I personally would NOT see a bug there, too.)

On 6/8/2020 at 5:02 PM, thomaso said:

@walt.farrell, a little later he said ...

and another little later he obviously distinguishes between persona and stand alone, whereas in stand alone AD his experience was as expected ...

This is my experience, yes.

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com