You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

copying colours between documents?

This question applies to all all 3 products and it's a one where there's bound to be a simple answer!

I have a particular shape / font or something in one document and I want to copy it's colour to something else on a different document. Copying within the same document seems to be no problem as the colour inevitably shows up in the recent colour swatch (or whatever it's called!) but this doesnt happen between documents. I've been simply writing down the CMYK values and ebtering them manually for ages now but is there an easier way?

Also, whats with the eyedropper in the colour pallet in the swaches / colour / gradient flyout? I've never been able to select it or get it to do anything! How do you use it?

1 minute ago, homeyJay said:

whats with the eyedropper in the colour pallet in the swaches / colour / gradient flyout? I've never been able to select it or get it to do anything! How do you use it?

We have to click and drag to the area we wish to sample.

3 minutes ago, homeyJay said:

I have a particular shape / font or something in one document and I want to copy it's colour to something else on a different document. Copying within the same document seems to be no problem as the colour inevitably shows up in the recent colour swatch (or whatever it's called!) but this doesnt happen between documents.

You could set up an application palette and copy the colours to that, then when you switch documents select the new colour. The problem with that is you'll wind up with hundreds of swatches which will need to be deleted.

You could copy an object in Doc_1 and paste it into Doc_3 then perform the colour copy and finally delete the copied object.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks but the eyedropper doesn't do anything when I try to select it! It doesn't show that it's been selected by changing colour, the pointer doesn't change to anything after I click the eyedropper - I may as well just click some inactive area of the screen!

How do you get it to work?

Re the colour copying, is there a simpler way? This method seems to be slower than just writing it down!

33 minutes ago, homeyJay said:

Thanks but the eyedropper doesn't do anything when I try to select it! It doesn't show that it's been selected by changing colour, the pointer doesn't change to anything after I click the eyedropper - I may as well just click some inactive area of the screen!

How do you get it to work?

Re the colour copying, is there a simpler way? This method seems to be slower than just writing it down!

Click and drag. Keep the mouse button down. And yes the methods are slower but in my defence I have difficulty reading my own handwriting.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

Ok, now fixed. Not sure exactly what happened but my copy just wouldn't do anything when I dragged after clicking. I had to re-install and now when I drag, I see a magnifying glass thingy that's sampling the colours! Awesome. Thanks Old Bruce!

12 minutes ago, homeyJay said:

I had to re-install and now when I drag, I see a magnifying glass thingy that's sampling the colours!

Before I re-install I follow Roy's advice from the tv show The IT Crowd. "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" Clears out a lot of cruft. But I am glad it is working for you.

5 hours ago, homeyJay said:

Not sure exactly what happened but my copy just wouldn't do anything when I dragged after clicking.

It won't work if you click & then drag (two separate actions), if that is what you mean. You must press the mouse button down & keep it down during the drag.

Edited by R C-R
fixed wording for better clarity

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Could anyone try to answer the question - why is there a requirement for additional click after picking up of a color? I mean is there any other situation in which one would require picking a color, but wouldn't need it to be already choosen one? I belive Affinity users make thousends of miles on their mouse pads combined, just having to go back to picker to click it. Please explain :) Maybe I don't see something that is lying on the ground before me.

1 minute ago, mrqasq said:

Could anyone try to answer the question - why is there a requirement for additional click after picking up of a color?

Are you referring to using the Color Picker Tool or the eyedropper shaped picker that appears in the Color panel & in several other places in the UI?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

they are both eyedropper :P, and yes I know the one on the tools panel is getting me there faster, and is doing exactly what I described. Is the one on the color panel some kind of the relic of the past? which was than reintroduced in the form of the dedicated tool?

The Color panel one can sample a color to the third small color well via a drag & also to apply whatever color that well contains to either of the larger wells via a click (depends on which one is frontmost). If an object is selected the click function can also simultaneously apply the color to it, depending on the kind of object, what the two large color wells represent (primary & secondary colors or stroke & fill colors), & if the object accepts those kinds of color properties.

IOW, it has two separate but related functions, either of which can be used without using the other.

Affinity Photo 

6 hours ago, homeyJay said:

So, does any of this apply to copying colours between documents?

Yes, but only if both documents are visible on the screen. In that case, you can have one document (A) active, and sample from a visible portion of the document that is not active (B), which will set the color wells in the document that is active (A).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 hours ago, homeyJay said:

1. In document A sample the colour using the colour picker found in the Colour Panel

The sampled colour will appear in the small colour well in the same Colour Panel 

2. Switch to document B, select the object you want to colour and click on the small colour well in the Colour Panel

The colour in the small colour well will now be transferred to the object you have selected

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

On 6/5/2020 at 6:13 AM, homeyJay said:

Not to forget the option to transfer an entire palette, e.g. a current document palette, via the Swatches Panel > Export/Import Palette.
Note that global colors will appear as swatches if imported as application palettes but don't bring their global property unless you import their palette as document palette again.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 1 year later...
On 6/5/2020 at 1:28 PM, walt.farrell said:

Yes, but only if both documents are visible on the screen. In that case, you can have one document (A) active, and sample from a visible portion of the document that is not active (B), which will set the color wells in the document that is active (A).

that worked for me :) thx you

You're welcome, @oleo.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 years later...