You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Could anyone give me any insight into why an EPS file I sent to a printer - for van graphics - only shows the graphics in blocks, rather than individual vector images? They need to put the print through a cutting machine and currently the edges are blurred. I have tried sending a pdf, png and straight AF files and none appear to be working. Any ideas what I need to export into in order for the images to be sharp/vector?

Thanks. 

an EPS file should retain all vectors unless there is some setting to rasterize. I do not use EPS anymore, just .ai and .pdf. 

Hard to tell without seeing your artwork. We request PDF's for our large format stuff, which includes vehicle wraps. Are you able to upload the problem .eps file? Is the EPS file be created with Designer?

Not sure if it is something with your file that is not retaining the vector elements but nothing I have been able to do when exporting is able to stay vector. PDF's look horrible, EPS loses vector editing capabilities when placed in Illustrator. I am at a loss, should not be this difficult to get a print ready file. 

Looks like it's all the fx that are applied to the letters, if you use these export settings...
1084913616_ScreenShot2020-06-04at18_53_55.png.94165220a5cb39b7fd4f52df1d65db2a.png

Go will get this as the EPS result...

1447210792_ScreenShot2020-06-04at18_52_53.png.aa7a163da91ea7c8aaf2fe85b39c46f9.png

and in all honesty I actually like this logo, clean simple and easy to read.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

6 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Looks like it's all the fx that are applied to the letters, if you use these export settings...
1084913616_ScreenShot2020-06-04at18_53_55.png.94165220a5cb39b7fd4f52df1d65db2a.png

Go will get this as the EPS result...

1447210792_ScreenShot2020-06-04at18_52_53.png.aa7a163da91ea7c8aaf2fe85b39c46f9.png

and in all honesty I actually like this logo, clean simple and easy to read.

Looks more professional for sure. Unfortunately not what the OP is asking for. I have only used Designer for a few very basic things. It worked ok for that, but it obviously is limited in its current state. I have said this before and think it is still true, Affinity apps are just not ready for pro use. Not sure if fsf22 is a designer working for a client or this is his own business. If a designer I feel the pain already having gotten artwork approved and then not able to use it for production. 

Well, in order to get rid of the rasterization (bitmap parts) but still keeping the 3D effect in an automated way, a higherer degree bitmap to vector color tracing (when >= 32 colors so shade nuances are taken into account) would be needed. That should then result to an all vector file which still resembles then the 3D effect via color shades. - So something like this here but with more colors used when tracing ...

color_trace.jpg.92cbe9d7c7c1225ce9c5ac45105866a8.jpg

Other than that, the 3D effect has somehow to be created/resembled instead manually via AD's isometric drawing or the like.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

3 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Well, in order to get rid of the rasterization (bitmap parts) but still keeping the 3D effect in an automated way, a higherer degree bitmap to vector color tracing (when >= 32 colors so shade nuances are taken into account) would be needed. That should then result to an all vector file which still resembles then the 3D effect via color shades. - So something like this here but with more colors used when tracing ...

color_trace.jpg.92cbe9d7c7c1225ce9c5ac45105866a8.jpg

Ah ok thanks, I'm a newbie to this software so have absolutely no idea how to do what you just suggested! Is it a simple process?

1 minute ago, fsf22 said:

Is it a simple process?

You can try with a tracing software like for example Inkscapes bitmap to vector tracing facilities or some other capable vector tracing software (SuperVectorizer, VectorMagic, some online tracers ...) etc. - What you do is load a good clean and well sized JPG file of your drawing into some tracing software and setup the tracing to color smouth edges and > 32 colors (maybe 45-64) tracing. Then you export the result from there as PDF or SVG so you can reimport it into AD.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

50 minutes ago, BofG said:

@fsf22 I'd suggest sending two files - one as a jpeg (300dpi at actual size) and then the "flat" eps. All they need the vector format for is the contour cut, which is just the perimeter. It's super trivial for them to align the two files as they need within their production software.

Ensure the contour paths are offset from the original paths so that they encapsulate the outside-aligned Outline on the original shapes.

Also, notice that the glyphs within a row of words have various widths of Outline (in fact all the FX are inconsistent from one glyph to another because copy-paste of FX has been buggy for years) and that should be corrected before doing anything.

The only way to get clean bevels is to draw them see image below. I made the E shape from rectangles and created a compound to keep everything editable, I created an inner stroke and expanded it to use as a guide for the creation of the bevel shapes. As a final flourish  🤔 I added some highlight lines. You could do the same thing with all of the letters to get a complete vector logo.
443008224_ScreenShot2020-06-04at23_22_59.png.d7a239f052d39e8071cd705f6ce8f0ce.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions