You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

unni

My first try with AD. I made this by watching the video   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGLp-wSSkrc  

A small change I tried to do was to warp the text similar to the curved surface of the bottle. Looks like it can
be done only in AP. After switching to AP for warping, I find that the quality of the text degrades because it is probably
getting converted to pixel. The white label has the text in black which has jagged edges. May be the way I have done it
is not right. Have to figure out whether there is another way to do it.

I am not an artist and graphics is not my field. So experience and skill is zero. I am trying some baby steps
by attempting to learn from published videos by others. It feels good to make such drawings or content with AD.

Best regards,

unni

bottle.jpg

The main label looks convincingly realistic, but not the label at the top. Can I suggest that you make two versions of the 'NATURAL' text, the warp them to two different diameters. You can then merge to create a suitable label for the top.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• 2 weeks later...

Nice try, but the shading is too blurry and not complex enough for the nuances of glass with a translucent liquid in it, a lot of bottle images are taken with black boards to the left and right to define the edges of the bottle.

The labels are not quite right. On narrow bottles looking at the front the label edges will look almost flat, the part that defines the label as not being flat is the distortion of the label contents near the edges and using the mesh warp tool can give quite good effects re labels.

The shadow makes it look like the bottle is floating and should be higher up so the shadow looks more behind the bottle.

Look at an olive oil bottle and study it for a while, are the shadows blurry or quite sharp, how defined are the highlights and do they follow the contours of the bottle. Glass has a thickness and that can be seen, so the liquid is never really all the way to the edge of the bottle.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

There's always room for improvement, but for a first try with zero experience, it turned out rather well. There's obvious bits that could improve, but it also depends on what you're aiming for. You come to a realization that these programs are so robust and the variables are infinite that there are several approaches to achieve your desired results. Some easier than others. Years ago I attended a Photoshop seminar and a question was asked of the audience in regards to a certain retouching method. Half of the audience responded in the positive. The speaker then showed through the use of choosing a different tool how to arrive at the same result in a fraction of the time with far better results.

Never get frustrated, as from this start you only get better as you go along.

@firstdefence @dannyg9

Many thanks for the valuable observations and suggestions. I realize now that lot of minute aspects are to be finished properly for the final perfection.
Most of these aspects do not appear in my vision because I do not have natural artistic skills. To some extent these skills can be developed by learning.
Since I work in an entirely different field not related to art, the only time I learn something is during such hobby attempts. So things do not stay in the head.
However, I enjoy attempting to learn and improve upon !

You have artistic want else you wouldn’t have had the desire to try and draw, it’s just raw and needs to be honed, that takes time, practice and knowledge. Always save your early work because in a few months, when you compare it to what you make later you will see how much better you are getting.

My work is not art related and art is a hobby for me too, I’d call myself a art dabbler.

Observation is important in replicating a real world object ,if realism is what you are aiming for, however, artistic style plays a big part in what you produce and there are no rights or wrongs in that respect.

“Artists" don’t just create a masterpiece on first try,  David Shepherd and Heather Rooney are phenomenal artists but if you saw the images they produced when they started drawing never in a million years would you have expected them to produce the art they do today, in fact I think both artists have shown their early work to help aspiring artists and show that drawing is a development of skill and what can be achieved. 

Just plug away, make mistakes, refine skills and gain knowledge and have fun. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions