You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Latest version of Affinity Designer for Windows performance sucks

Let me start by saying i have an enough decent PC to run work on adobe suits. My spec is 16gb memory, Core i5 8400, 512gb SSD, RTX 2060. And yet i cant get around my head when it comes to using graphic tablet, if you have a little bit of complexity in your drawing the pen tool starts lagging which is really annoying. Even sometimes it lags when i'm not using graphic tablet at all, like when i'm using pentool with my mouse. What is exactly the problem?

Sure i could downgrade to previous version which slightly has a better performance, but i kinda like the feature in the lastest version. Please help, the reason i love this software is its smoothness performance

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @imamdwt,

My sincerest apologies for the delayed response here and I'm very sorry to hear you're having trouble with Affinity.

Are you still experiencing these lag spikes? Does this happen in any document, or only certain ones?

There are many reasons that may be causing this, so pinning down the exact cause of said spikes can be rather tricky. If you have Task Manager open whilst working, do you see any resource hit 100% when the lag occurs?

I've previously suggested to other customers to reset their app back to default settings in this situation. Most of the time users report a better experience following, however it has also been know to have little effect and depending on your setup, loosing all your custom settings etc can be frustrating.

If you'd like to try this process, I've included instructions below -

You can reset your app back to its default settings by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app. When the Clear User Data window appears, click Select All and then Clear. The app will now open.

Be aware that resetting your app back to its default settings will lose any custom settings such as keyboard shortcuts and brushes etc.

Many thanks in advance!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)