You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Photo] Batch/Macro Create Slices in Export Persona

Hey!

So I am going through over 500 product photos for our electronics company and I would like to automate creating slices. Basically for each product photo I am trying to export 7 standard slices with different aspect ratios and crops, so slices is definitely the tool for that. But it seems like a prime application for a macro or other preset thing where I can create all of these slices automatically with the export preset and aspect ratios that I want. I would still have to frame each photo and fine tune it, but having the slices all ready for me would be awesome. The macro tool seems to only work in the Photo persona. I timed myself a few times and doing the math, if I can automate this I will save me 20 hours of work!

Best, Jared

Hi, well in theory would be fine if you could do such an automation with APh, but in practise you actually can't. Batch processing, macros and also export slices, all have their individual specific limitations and sadly aren't much combinable for such bulk automation purposes/tasks.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 minute ago, v_kyr said:

Hi, well in theory would be fine if you could do such an automation with APh, but in practise you actually can't. Batch processing, macros and also export slices, all have their individual specific limitations and sadly aren't much combinable for such bulk automation purposes/tasks.

Yeah I figured this would be the case after digging for a while, but still holding hope for some sort of work around. And I don't need to actually export the slices, rather I'd just like them to be all preloaded in some sort of way like the image below. Thanks for the reply!

image.png.f51c245c1355d6f6efc2f9a07b3580d0.png

With "batch processing" you can operate on several added files (maybe 500 if you are patient and things go well), you can let it crop and apply simple macros on them, but you can generate/write out only one chunk of file type (let's say JPG here) and not 7 different JPG types (aka what slices offer). Further you can't save/reload own settings presets which would help in order to do that 7 times for different JPG sizes to generate. - In contrast here with "export slices" there are no macros you can apply and you can't let it bulk process 500 different images, further that (export slices) also doesn't really support saving/reloading of own preset settings in order you wan't to reapply things for another run.

All in all those are thus halfhearted feature implementations and probably not that much helpful to do all you want in one setup go. - Instead you might look at other tools (ImageMagick etc.), or scripting based solutions in order to accomplish all that bulk image handling at once. - On Win things like Powertoys ImageResizer or IrfanView, XnResize etc. might offer the one or other way too. - There are hundreds of such Win & MacOS image resize tools.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2