You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paragraph Styles problem & linked text box

Hello friends, i have Strange behavior working with paragraph and new text linked box

I have a text box with 2 or 3 paragraph style inside.
text1 style
text2 style based on text 1 without caps.

At the same box, when I maximeze the box to see all the text with text2 style applied, all is fine and the style is applied...

When i created a new box flowing the text, the first paragraph is supersmall (2,5pt) (but not the rest) ¿? 
To solve the issue i tryed
1. selecting all the paragraphs there, and re apply style, but have no effect
2. selecting all those paragraphs and reseting/deleting format ( with the 'T' icon) have not effect neither.
3. when this flow boxes were created, if i make bigger the firs box, the text thai I see super small at the 2nd box flow to the first (smetimes) super-big.

If I do a manual apply to all paragraps at the 2n box, then... it changes, but maintain something like a bug.

It's an every time behavior in a document where i created those boxes and in a new document.

When I copy-paste that content to a new document it does the same.

I did those test using own styles and direct the original affinity styles (minute 3.13). Forcing the original styles it happens too.

Anybody has the same problem?
It's a bug? it's only my problem?

You can see an example at this youtube video (it's only visible using link):  

thanks

Hi,

I was sure that wasn't the problem...

But now i'm not sure 😁 

Maybe i did a manual modification of the first text frame and after, I've applied the correct options to that modified text frame...😅😅

and when i flow to a new text frame it does a rare actions.

i'll do few tryes more... and redo all the text frames if it's necessary.

Thanks a lot.

best regards

• 1 month later...

I am new to Affinity Publisher and I am also having this issue. When I click on the triangle then drag out a new text block the overflow type does not keep the formatting it is TINY. I have watched the tutorials and cannot figure out what is happening. The context toolbar shows the type as being 1.2 pt for some reason.

This is an Indesign document I am using to learn with converted with IDMarkz. I will post other questions separately as they arise. Is there any ETA on an Affinity Publisher Workbook?

Thank you for any help.

1598154510_Pic1.png.efab95baefbbd57972b0e6546ac72d56.png

1782005773_Pic2.png.5759b5e9006b8ea74ae03441742bab86.png

@DawnM, What you describe sounds incredibly like the situation described earlier in this thread, where the prevention is clearly spelled out.  Try deleting the entire sequence of linked Text Frames (the source of the problem is probably one of the earlier frames, not the most recently created one), and drawing out new ones for the affected text flow.  If you later adjust any of those frames, make sure to use the sizing handles and not the scaling handle, as described above.

Yes deleting the existing text frames in my template and starting over drawing new ones to paste the text back into did fix the problem. The text flowed correctly, but there shouldn't be a problem. If the text in the first two text blocks are formatted it should flow correctly to any subsequent linked text box drawn. There was no resizing done and no 1.2 pt type in the text.

Without a copy of your document (if you have one, you can still post it here), this will be almost impossible to diagnose with a high degree of confidence.  Usually when this happens, the user accidently rescaled rather than resized a text frame, then compensated for text sizing using font properties, then flowed on to another text frame where the compensating font properties blew up visibly.  That's how this thread started.

What happened in your specific case might be diagnosable if you provide a copy of the affected document.  You may have found a bug.  Or you may have done something unintentionally which did not register at the time.

• 2 months later...

Hi @sfriedberg and @Gabe or anyone. 😃

I am having the same issue. I would say: I didn't rescale the text frame; but maybe I did unintentionally.

If I post my file, can you take a look and tell me how to fix it? I did everything you guys mentioned above. But as I am new affinity user, maybe I missed something.

Is there a way to identify the text frames that have been rescaled?

Thank you in advanced

• Staff
13 hours ago, GeoVictor said:

If I post my file, can you take a look and tell me how to fix it? I did everything you guys mentioned above. But as I am new affinity user, maybe I missed something.

Hi @GeoVictor,

I'm afraid there is no easy fix. One would need to delete and recreate that text frame. If you don't have any custom tab stops, you have select the frame in question and check it. The default value is 12.7mm. If it's different, you know you've resized it. 

Hi @Gabe,

Thank you. I'm not sure if I understood when you said to "check it". How can I do it? I see no diference between Tab Stops of my Text Frames. I check it on Paragraphs tab on my right side.

What I did to fix it: I copied the text and pasted without format in new document, and I reformatted everything (italics, bold, font, paragraphs, etc.). It was very time consuming. Not sure if it was the best option. Is there another way to solve the problem. Maybe Affinity can treat this and give us a way to restore the scale of Text Frame.