You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi

I am trying to fill a document with squares (size 48mm) which i can adjust individually.

Is there a faster way doing this than what ive done so far, manually drawing each square with the pen tool? (in the image)

I adjusted the grid to 48mm so it was easier to draw.

Thanks for any input.

2020-06-03.png

49 minutes ago, Espen A said:

Hi

I am trying to fill a document with squares (size 48mm) which i can adjust individually.

Is there a faster way doing this than what ive done so far, manually drawing each square with the pen tool? (in the image)

I adjusted the grid to 48mm so it was easier to draw.

Thanks for any input.

2020-06-03.png

You can create a square more quickly with the Rectangle Tool - see the blue square below the Pen Tool on the tools bar.

Hold down the Ctrl key and drag an object to duplicate the object. If you are creating a regular offset between duplicated objects, then "power duplicating" can speed up the process: after the first duplicate and drag, do not deselect the dragged object, and then repeatedly press Ctrl+J to create a series of offset duplicates.

As an alternative, you can create a large rectangle, then create a grid of lines over the rectangle.
You can then select all of the lines, use Expand Stroke, then use the Geometry Divide function to create a grid of squares.
One issue with this is that the resultant squares will be slightly smaller than the ‘grid’ you made with the lines, but that might not be a problem in some circumstances.