You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Assuming you are using Photo, to do this you will first have to remove all areas of the image that need to be transparent.
You may also need to go to; Document > Transparent Background in the Menubar and make sure that the entry 'Transparent Background' has a tick next to it too.
When ready, in the Export dialogue window choose PNG as the export format.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Hi,

When I try and convert some of my photos to png using the flood tool,refine,deselect,invert etc the background does not show the white background as it should.It actually goes to a dark colour.When it does that if I try and maskit the whole image shows white with just the outline of the aircraft I,m trying to use.Any ideas please

The method I described above is “destructive”. But you mention in your last post the use of a “mask” ? Are you wanting to use a non-destructive method of removing the background? This can be done;

1: Select the area of the image you want to keep.
2: Go to; Layer > New Mask Layer.
3: Now go to; Selection > Deselect.
With this method you can add to or remove which areas of the image are masked, at any time later on if needed, using a white or black brush on the mask. Or the Mask can be turned Off completely.

The key thing to remember though with whatever method is used to remove the background, you must have ‘Transparent Background’ selected in the Documents properties and no other layers underneath the image layer.
After you have removed the background areas that you don’t want, you should see a pale grey checkerboard pattern filling those areas. This tells you that those areas are now Transparent.

If you are still having difficulties, perhaps if you could post some screenshots or a recording of what is happening for you which it might make things clearer.

1346623233_Screenshot2020-06-06at11_51_04.png.d916d4a470744b07d5d22156ccf6ca98.png

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Thankyou markw,

The "non destructive " instructions you gave have worked perfectly on 3 or 4 attempts.Its a lot easier to do it the way you described than the instructions I was using before.These involved selecting the area around the subject and reversing the selection.Again thankyou  for your advice.Much appreciated