You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crash

I have a Publisher document with now approx. 120 pages. On my laptop I can work fine with it  - Publisher 1.8.3. and Windows 10.

The same file crashes Publisher after approx. 5 seconds after opening the file on my 2nd PC. This other PC also has Windows 10 and the  same Publisher version. I also tried with the latest Beta-version but it makes no difference: The file is loading fine, showing the current page and no matter whether I am doing anything or nothing, some seconds later the publisher is gone without any notice.

I also tried to open the file in Designer, here it shows the current page and then crashes too.

Two days ago it worked fine on both systems.

Sorry, I also posted this some days ago in the "Features and Suggestions" forum, but found no way to move it

• Staff

Hi @Andreas,

Can you upload the file here, and then go to %AppData%\Affinity\Publisher\ and upload the 1.0 folder, it will contain program settings/crash reports which might shed some light on why this is happening on just one machine.

After doing can you let me know if holding down CTRL whilst running up the application (to reset it) fixes it?

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Hi Jon,

the files are uploaded and the reset did not change anything.

I also checked that there were no Windows Updates in the last two weeks, so it definitely worked with exactly this version od Windows.

I found an old version of the publisher file, approx. one month old: Same effect - Crash now.

Other files work fine.

• Staff

Hi @Andreas S,

It doesn't crash for me either, I suspect the machine it is not crashing on is missing some of the linked images (like I am) and that may be the cause (although I can't say why this has happened, but we have seen it before). 

On the machine that is crashing do you mind renaming the folder called "Buch", from what I can see that should break the links to all the images in your file. Does it then load without crashing? If so if we re-link all the images it should then behave as expected.

Hi @Jon P,

I've copied the file to a local drive (just to make it will not be modified), then renamed the picture folder. Starting buch.afpub by double-click crashed almost immediately, starting publisher and opening the file I got the message that resources are missing. I did not go through the process of finding all ressources (would have been a day's work, because the pictures are all in subfolders), but the program was runnning and showed low resolution pictures.

Trying again after renaming the picture folder to its original value made Publisher crash as before.

• Staff

It does seem related to the pictures then. I'm afraid you will need to re-link from those low res pictures to carry on as before on that machine (if when you open the file you click "Yes" it will find other resources in the same folder, so it hopefully won't be that much time).

Do you often edit pictures externally after they have been inserted?

Sorry, that can't be a serious proposal. I have 24 subfolders for the pictures and I'll have to try every one of them until I find the right one because there is no list with missing ressources to correct - only a message "Ressources are missing". And then there is no guarantee that it works afterwards because we are just guessing what could be the reason for the crash.

I wrote above that I also tried with a one month old version of the file and that the same crash happens there too.

I'm happy to support if you send me a debugging version which produces enhanced dumps or a version with more logging enabled.

The pictures have not been edited after insertion.

• Staff

I'm afraid it's the way that resolves the crashing on load issue for now. Apologies for the inconvenience.

I agree we need to find the cause, there was a previous issue where editing image sizes externally could cause this. I'll be passing the crash report on and seeing if we can get more information.
If you choose to re-link, it should function recursively and gives you the name of the resource it is looking for (if you click Yes to locate resources when the file is opened) in the windows dialog. So it should pick up the subfolders automatically if you just renamed the Buch folder.

• 3 weeks later...

It happens again.On one PC (sameas the 1st time) Publisher crashes when opening the afpub file. The last editing actions didn't do any changes to imagesand the images themselves didn't change too, so I am not sure if the problem is related to images.

I also tried to open the file with the latest Beta-Version but this did not help either.

This is very frustrating, having a file with work of months and you never know, if you can open it again, once you have closed it after minor editing.

It happens again.On one PC (sameas the 1st time) Publisher crashes when opening the afpub file. The last editing actions didn't do any changes to imagesand the images themselves didn't change too, so I am not sure if the problem is related to images.

I also tried to open the file with the latest Beta-Version but this did not help either.

This is very frustrating, having a file with work of months and you never know, if you can open it again, once you have closed it after minor editing.

• Staff

The last editing actions didn't do any changes to imagesand the images themselves didn't change too, so I am not sure if the problem is related to images.

You can do the same trick as last time, rename the folder and see if that allows the file to open, if it does then it will be a similar thing (and re-linking may resolve it).

I'm not sure what seemed to stop this happening last time when you rebooted the PC. I'm aware it's frustrating but it's not a common issue, so we will need to try get to the bottom of what's happened.

If you have a machine that it opens on, and no resources are missing, if you embed all the resources and then open the resulting file does that work?

The only thing I did last time was the reboot - happy not to have to go through this really time consuming process of reloading all pictures.

Now I tried again the reboot and it worked - the file is accessible. I tried to open first with the newest beta and then with the released version 1.8.3. Both worked.

I fear we are here somewhere in Microsoft's DLL-hell ;-). I saved from process explorer all handles and DLLs of the process and when the error happens again we can eventually compare to find a difference.

BTW, I noticed when saving the file from the Beta-version it blows up the file size from 22MB to >1GB. This can be reverted by saving again with the release version.