You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey I was wondering if there was an easy way to create artboards set to print sizes?
I see that I can set them to mobile/device sizes but is there a quick way I can resize an artboard to print sizes?

I didn't see anything at first glance. Also is there a way to set the size of certain artboard to be like 4x6 and others to be like 6x8?

I didn't see a way to manually set size without trying to drag the artboard nodes to the right size, I'd like to be able to type in artboard sizes and create them that way.

Artboard size option.PNG

Adding (and removing) artboards

Artboards can be created with new documents or added to your current document at a preset or custom size at any time.

Adding artboards

When creating a new document, you can automatically create your first artboard using the settings in the New Document dialog.

Once you have an document open, you can add artboards using the Artboard Tool.

Artboards can be created:

• using the original document's dimensions—perfect for creating multi-page documents
  • using preset sizes—perfect for device-specific designing
  • using the current selection's dimensions
  • at a custom size
  • by copying or duplicating other artboards
  • by converting a selected object

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

@softsound Though ...

To resize an artboard:

With an artboard selected, do one of the following:

• Using the Artboard Tool or Move Tool, drag the artboard's selection handles.
  • On the Transform panel, adjust the W (width) and/or H (height) settings.

And AFAI recall you can convert objects to artboards, thus you can create/define a rect and then convert that to an artboard. However, it's probably not the detour way you want to go.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Yes, but this seems like something I should be able to do in the beginning. I made a quick mock-up of my idea.

Just saves a few extra steps.

Also I would not get rid of the document option, just temporarily removed it for the mock's sake. I would probably remove double insert artboard buttons too.

(I suppose X & Y would be W & H but same idea. Would be also nice if I could save artboard templates like affinity has there)

SetCustomSize.png

1 minute ago, softsound said:

Just saves a few extra steps...

...and makes probably more sense, if it could be size defined directly during creation.

When you create a new document, you can use the Photo category in Presets to get a photo-sized document, and you can check "Create Artboard" to get a photo-sized artboard. You can then duplicate that artboard to get more.

If you have a common set of photo-sized artboards that you want in the same document, just create them individually using the Artboard Tool and the Transform panel as needed, then save that document as a Template using File > Export as Template.... Then you can create other documents with that set of artboards by using the template during File > New....

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I believe the OP wants to be able to type in artboard sizes directly in numerical values for creation.

36 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

I believe the OP wants to be able to type in artboard sizes directly in numerical values for creation.

Perhaps, but they can get all the common sizes automatically during File > New processing, if they only need 1 artboard.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

14 hours ago, softsound said:

Also is there a way to set the size of certain artboard to be like 4x6 and others to be like 6x8?

I didn't see a way to manually set size without trying to drag the artboard nodes to the right size, I'd like to be able to type in artboard sizes and create them that way.

You can resize any artboard by selecting it with the Move Tool (click on the artboard name) or in the Layers panel, & then set its size in the Transform panel numerically. Since that panel accepts expressions in field values you can use that to set the aspect ratio, for example by setting the H field to w*(6/4) after setting the W field to the desired width.

If in the New document window you tick the "Create Artboard" checkbox, the Move Tool & that artboard will be selected when you click the Create button, so you just need to type in the desired values in the Transform panel. The same applies when you create a new artboard with the Artboard Tool -- it is selected so you can reset its size to whatever you want in the Transform panel.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I think the point of art boards is to be able to have different sizes in one document, I understand I can just create a bunch of documents and copy and paste it over or use the transform  to transform but these workarounds seem unnecessary if they just gave the option for custom sizes upfront.  

I submitted my suggestion here.

2 hours ago, softsound said:

I think the point of art boards is to be able to have different sizes in one document...

All different or all the the same or a mix of both, the choice is up to the user.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 5 months later...