You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Gradient Overlay Scale Y Not Working on Ellipse

• Staff

HI yeffdaley,
Thanks for reporting this. I've logged the issue to be looked at. I'm seeing the same erratic behaviour here (both Y and X scale sliders).
Note: I moved the thread to the Photo Bugs found on MacOS section since this is a bug. The feedback section is just for suggestions/features requests.

45 minutes ago, yeffdaley said:

Anyone else seeing this?

1. Draw EllipseCleanShot 2020-06-02 at 10.14.06@2x.png

2. Apply a radial gradient overlay.

3. Attempt to Scale Y

Expected: Gradient scales as it does in the Layer Effects preview
Results: Scale Y does nothing.

Having two scales for a radial ellipse is nonsense and the little preview is wrong (it is a preview of an elliptical gradient instead of radial gradient), so do not expect the behaviour seen in the preview. There should be only one scaling control when the Type is "Radial".

Two scales makes sense for an elliptical gradient, and you will get the same preview if you select "Elliptical" instead of "Radial" for Type, and the behaviour will then be as expected.

• Staff

Actually the "X" slider works/scales correctly (on canvas) when the type is set to Radial (the Y slider does nothing/is inactive) but the UI is confusing/misleading and the preview fails/isn't of any use here. Same happens with other gradients types as Linear where the Y slider does nothing but the same UI is used for all cases.

13 minutes ago, MEB said:

Actually the "X" slider works/scales correctly (on canvas) when the type is set to Radial (the Y slider does nothing/is inactive) but the UI is confusing/misleading and the preview fails/isn't of any use here. Same happens with other gradients types as Linear where the Y slider does nothing but the same UI is used for all cases.

Yes, I was trying to say that the interface is wrong and the behaviour is as should be expected.