You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Slices doesn't snap on guides

Hi, 

I have an issue on my affinity Photo (Windows)

In export persona, I create guides to snap slices easier on the guidelines but the magnetism doesn't work on the guidelines. (the "snap to guides" checkbox in the snapping manager is correctly checked)

Anyone have a solution?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @PilouLeo,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble and my sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. If this is still an issue for you, can you please provide a screen recording showing this, including your snapping options?

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

@Dan C, unless I have overlooked something, Export Persona slice edges only snap to document edges or referenced to document centers, never to guides. It does not matter what if any snapping options are enabled in the other personas.

Are you saying there is a way to use guides for slice snapping?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

My apologies, you're correct R C-R as slices cannot be snapped to grids. I've found a previous internal bug report which states:

'Slices use integer space positions, and so cannot be snapped to float space positions, such as guides and grids.'

Unfortunately this means that we cannot change this behaviour, and you will be unable to snap to a grid, regardless of snapping setting.

I hope this clears things up!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 2 years later...

I am having the same issue. I can't snap to guides. But I need these guides to create pixel perfect alignment/slicing.

From what I see in Photo the guides snap to pixel grid, so I don't understand why it can't be changed to use in slices? I would imagine the guides would be reduced to their nearest integer, or only allowed for pixel aligned guides or so? 

I see that Pixelmator Pro does work with this, so I'll check that out. But have bought the whole Affinity suite and would love to see this supported.

• Staff

Welcome to the Affinity Forums @Peter de Kraker & I'm sorry to hear this is affecting your workflow.

8 minutes ago, Peter de Kraker said:

From what I see in Photo the guides snap to pixel grid, so I don't understand why it can't be changed to use in slices? I would imagine the guides would be reduced to their nearest integer, or only allowed for pixel aligned guides or so? 

I'm not personally a developer myself, however as I understand it, 'integer' space positions and 'floating' space positions are not interchangeable and therefore supporting this as a feature would require our team to complete rewrite how guides work in Affinity.

That's not to say this will never be possible in Affinity apps, simply it isn't a supported feature currently. We may look to change and improve the ways guides work in a future version, but due to the undertaking this task would require I'm unable to provide any timeframe estimates for such changes.

My apologies for any inconveniences caused due to this - I will be sure to add your 'vote' to this feature request in our internal development log, but in the meantime you may want to try Psendas' workaround in your original thread :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

Thanks for the response Dan C. I am a developer, although not of Affinity of course. Integers mean whole numbers, and floating point means decimal. So I would expect that at least a sort of conversion would be possible. But anyway, that's up to Affinity. I would love to see this improved, but of course there are so many wishes so I totally get the no timeframe for this. Thanks.