You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I think that you are looking for similar tools to Light room. This is more like PS.

I may be missing something but I create a suitable adjustment layer, call up the mask and fill it with black . Using a low opacity brush and selecting the mask,  I paint in with white gradually building up the effect. There are variations on this, of instance, still using a mask blending the effect, varying the layer opacity and painting the mask with black where you do not want the adjustment. 

Things like clarity etc are not adjustment layer options. You can duplicate the  layer, apply the adjustment and blend as described above.

I hope if this is incorrect somebody will enlighten.

This is exactly what I'm trying to do.

I have to images, one on top of the other and am trying to remove only a small portion of one of the images and have that blend in with the other.

I click on the mask layer at the bottom and then I try to fill it with black.

That's where I get stuck, and can't figure out how to fill that mask with the color black.  If I could I would then select the mask and paint in with white gradually building up the effect. As mentioned above.

If anyone could offer any suggestions I'd be eternally grateful.

Hi Elwood,

if the problem is to fill the mask with black:

I think, there is no shortcut for that in AP.

But in the tool bar, there is the paint bucket tool. Click it, choose a colour and with one click in the mask and it is filled.

Ciao Jack

Affinity Jack

Video-Tutorials on YouTube in German with English Subtitles

Link to my YouTube-Channel: AFFINITY JACK

Author in the team of www.affinitytutorials.de, the website all about Affinity Photo & Affinity Designer

• Staff

This is exactly what I'm trying to do.

I have to images, one on top of the other and am trying to remove only a small portion of one of the images and have that blend in with the other.

I click on the mask layer at the bottom and then I try to fill it with black.

That's where I get stuck, and can't figure out how to fill that mask with the color black.  If I could I would then select the mask and paint in with white gradually building up the effect. As mentioned above.

If anyone could offer any suggestions I'd be eternally grateful.

Once you've added the mask, select it in the Layers panel then go to Layer - Invert. This will invert the mask and allow you to build it up.

Hope that helps!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials