You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

new dodge and burn way

Many are familiar with the layers based dodge and burn tool using 50% grey softlight blending layer to paint with a black or white brush, or colour (or google it ;) .

Recently learnt, and have been using a new one that doesn't have the 50% grey 
>new blank layer >add softlight blend >paint with black, or white, or even a colour
Apparently we don't actually need the 50% grey!!

BTW the built in dodge and burn tools are great for targeting shadows, midtones, or highlights. However; always use a duplicate layer or layers

used a 30% opacity hard  brush to D+B this image
1074425332_dodgeandburn.jpg.d0aa2fa18ea2749a465ade5e2e99342d.jpg

can be used to colour photos --- great for black and white photos

385660768_dodgeandburncolour.jpg.ec48ecfdc79cd39fa1f699afb67b60db.jpg

6 hours ago, RNKLN said:

With all these alternatives, why do we even have Dodge and Burn tools?

Do you mean built-in tools ? . Perhaps because all edit programs have them for those who just do a little dodge and burn. I use dodge and burn a lot including adding colours.  
Best to find what works for you and just use that way  imo. The main advantage of this [new] idea is the one less step of adding the 50% grey layer . >>add new layer >add softlight blending layer >start painting. That said; I already have a 50% grey D+B macro that I'm too lazy change 🤣 . I actually have several dodge and burn macros that in the end do the same job . 

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Yes, I have the same or similar macro's. I was just asking and noting there are many effects that have gotten their 'own' tool, while it is possible to achieve the same in many alternative ways. The above alternative is the one i prefer, by the way, because it's so easy while being non-destructive.

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions