You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Gradient Tool

• Staff

Hi MikeArm,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Just drag the Gradient Tool over the canvas to position the gradient as you want. Click on the nodes and select a colour from the Colour tab on the right of the interface to change node colours (stop colours). Alternatively, you can also do this clicking on the colour rectangle on the the context toolbar (right above the work area) and edit its colours from there.

Please bear with me. I think I'm trying to use gradient tool to mask out a section of the sky, for instance to change the exposure, contrast, etc. I see how this works in the Raw Persona but I can't figure out what the "H" I am doing in the Photo Persona. Thanks.

Yeah, I had a similar issue late last night and decided to get some much needed sleep instead. I need to look further into it.

Basically, I think the issue is this: You have a picture that you add a mask to. Then you want to create a gradient in that mask for whatever reason. Instead of the gradient getting applied to the picture to show less on one side and more as it fades to white, the photo gets replaced with the actual gradient itself.

The annoying thing is, it worked correctly early in my processing of the photo, but after adding a few layers, manipulations, I started seeing that behaviour described above.

@MikeArm - I think this is the same issue you're seeing, correct?

Maritan - I am not even sure if that is, indeed, my problem / question.

In LR, for instance, you grab the Gradient icon , position it somewhere in the photo, drag down, across or up and then make the adjustments. This is all I'm trying to duplicate.

Thanks. 

Well AP is more complicated for simple adjustments, although way more capable of complex compositions, there isn´t an automation function yet so you may really want to stick with Lightroom for the normal light editing.

You can also check out the Affinity Tutorials on Vimeo if you don´t have already. They´re absolutely easy to understand and there are already many online...

Just to sum up - The gradient tool woks so well in the Develop Persona I only wish I could duplicate that in the Photo Persona. But all in all everything's fine. I just need to do things in a little different order, I guess. Thanks.