You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Startrail issue with 300 layers

I want to create a startrail. Wen I load 300 Images into a stack it works nicely. But when I want to merge the visible layers to one, it just does not work. Left it open for hours but it just remained showing the „merge visible layers“ window without any progress. The layers are pixel layers. Rasterizing did not work either. 
ipad 11 pro 1tb with ios 13.5 and the latest Version of affinity. 

Errka, thanks I have a powerful desktop but I want to test, what Affinity on iPad is capable of. A software does not get better by not pushing it to it‘s limits...

As the hardware is insanely powerful, Software should improve rapidly (in general, I like Affinity for ipad very much already but there is always room for improvement)

1 hour ago, Wosven said:

Did you try doing it incremently, merging less layers each time?

Yes... but it is hard to determine how many layers are the maximum, as I cant really save my work once the stack has been completed. So trial and error takes quite some time if one starts all over again

Have fun with the 2020 ipad! I‘m lookoing forward to the day when photo editing can exclusively be done on ipad. Much more convenient on the sofa ☺️. And I feel, we are slowly getting there. It is such fun, playing with Affinity (whereas „that other program“ with Ph is a joke)

• Staff

Hey Alewa,

Do you want to upload the images to this Dropbox folder? I'll give it a go. AFAIK we don't impose any limitations so it should eventually do it. I can't say I've tried with that many images before but I'll give it a go.

Apple are now claiming that these new iPad's are more powerful than the average Window laptop so let's test that theory :P 

• Staff

Thanks Alewa,

I've downloaded them and I'm just waiting for them to move over to my iPad. I'll report back once I've had chance. 

While I was waiting for them to move over, I tried it on my Windows machine and it crashed. 

How much space do you have left on the iPad?

• Staff

Hey Alewa,

I think the issue here is that we're trying to stack and then merge too many images/layers.

Our in-house expert, James Ritson who also does these types of merges usually does 30 to 50 images.

He recommends shooting with a longer exposure time so you only need to stack a max of 50 or so images.

When it comes to merging, it is likely going to use more memory than the initial stack (which is the bit I'm struggling with). Affinity does this non-destructively unlike other apps that stack which will do is destructively, this is why it takes longer and uses more resources. 

James has done this on an iMac with 24GB memory using 120 16-bit TIFF files and when trying it on his MacBook, it ate right into the 16GB memory and was failing. I think we are asking too much from our little iPad—as powerful as they claim to be!