You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Language packs

I have all three Affinity programs and find the combination very useful.

The only thing I wish for is a more complete language pack. one that includes Dutch.

It is not clear to me if currently Spanish is included. And if so how do you activate different languages.

Jacques

It's important to be clear about whether you're talking about:

• Languages that Affinity is translated into, for User Interface purposes; or
  • Languages for which Affinity provides dictionaries for Spell Checking and (in Publisher) for automatic hyphenation; or
  • Languages that you can use for Spell Checking and (in Publisher) for automatic hyphenation, but only if you locate and install the dictionaries yourself.

The following User Interface languages are provided:

image.png.b5f921e24fe94fdba83a55f70320f3b0.png

On Windows (not sure about Mac) the following language dictionaries are supplied by Affinity for Spell Checking and (on Publisher) automatic hyphenation:

image.png.fad871e8bc384afa59ae82cf836939dd.png

Many other language dictionaries are available for you to install yourself for Spell Checking and (on Publisher) automatic hyphenation. More information about them can be found in this FAQ article:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 6/1/2020 at 4:56 PM, walt.farrell said:

It's important to be clear about whether you're talking about:

• Languages that Affinity is translated into, for User Interface purposes; or
  • Languages for which Affinity provides dictionaries for Spell Checking and (in Publisher) for automatic hyphenation; or
  • Languages that you can use for Spell Checking and (in Publisher) for automatic hyphenation, but only if you locate and install the dictionaries yourself.

The following User Interface languages are provided:

image.png.b5f921e24fe94fdba83a55f70320f3b0.png

On Windows (not sure about Mac) the following language dictionaries are supplied by Affinity for Spell Checking and (on Publisher) automatic hyphenation:

image.png.fad871e8bc384afa59ae82cf836939dd.png

Many other language dictionaries are available for you to install yourself for Spell Checking and (on Publisher) automatic hyphenation. More information about them can be found in this FAQ article:

If possible, please quickly add Polish language to the Affinity Suite.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @Moops73.

Do you want Polish as a possibility for the User Interface language? Or for Spell Checking in documents?

For Spell Checking, I think you can already install a set of Polish dictionaries using the FAQ I referenced above.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Thank you for your response.

I need the Dutch spellchecker. Found it in GitHub. Downloaded and installed it. But it does not appear in the list of Affinity languages.

I see  in Affinity for each language as well a .dll file. Don´t know if that is needed as well. To be honest...I gave up.

Regards,

Jacques

2 hours ago, Sonny32 said:

I need the Dutch spellchecker. Found it in GitHub. Downloaded and installed it. But it does not appear in the list of Affinity languages.

You set the languages for Spell Checking in one of two places:

1. The Language section of the Text Style you have assigned to the text:
    image.png.b2c15f32f622f0899394cd5dd8b92c3a.png

2. The Character panel if you're not using Text Styles (but using Text Styles is the better approach, in my opinion):
    image.png.269154df8a30407d2a7666ce4b75ca9d.png

The default Spelling language is set based on the User Interface language you've chosen in the Affinity Preferences. But you can define your own Text Styles to use for different languages, and assign them to your text so the Spell Checking and Hyphenation routines know which dictionaries to use.

-- Walt
PC:

You're welcome, Jacques.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, belief-begin-conjoin said:

Installing them manually you risk them getting overwritten and deleted when installing an update from Affinity.

Updating Affinity does not disturb files you add to the default Dictionaries directory, so there is no risk in adding them manually.

-- Walt
PC:

4 minutes ago, Sonny32 said:

How do you suggest that I should install them?

-- Walt
PC:

Hello Walt,

I set the language (Dutch) in the Text Style...etc. It works! However you have to execute the procedure for each block of text. At least I did not find a way to make it the default language.

Also I wonder why it does not appear in the list of languages under "Edit ->Preferences-> etc,"

All by all great that it works but as far as I got I do not find it very user-friendly. Most probably I am missing a point or trick do get it to work better.

3 hours ago, Sonny32 said:

I set the language (Dutch) in the Text Style...etc. It works! However you have to execute the procedure for each block of text. At least I did not find a way to make it the default language.

You can set a paragraph text style in the Context Toolbar when you create a text frame. And you can define a language for the Base text style, and save it as a default for new documents, and other text styles will inherit from Base by default. 

Also I wonder why it does not appear in the list of languages under "Edit ->Preferences-> etc,"

Preferences sets the language for the User Interface, which may be totally different from the language you use for a document. The languages used in a document are set in document-related settings, either in Text Styles or the Character panel.

All by all great that it works but as far as I got I do not find it very user-friendly. Most probably I am missing a point or trick do get it to work better.

You probably need to practice more with using text styles :)

-- Walt
PC: