You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What's wrong with these SVGs? (Bootstrap Icons)

Bootstrap Icons are a relatively new addition to the framework.

They come in SVG-format, but for some reason, I can't open them in AD (nor Inkscape, nor Xara).
They DO however display perfectly in browsers.

Sometimes I would like to modify or recolor them, what's wrong with them so they open in graphics software?

I include two examples, full download at https://icons.getbootstrap.com/

Cheers

arrow-down.svg exclamation-circle.svg

How did you make the example files?
What works for me is to go to the Bootstrap icon repository you linked to, and;
Choose an icon.
Copy it’s code using the ‘Copy’ button provided.
Open Designer, then;
File > New from Clipboard
Or if you have an existing document open that you want to add them to; Edit > Paste.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

12 minutes ago, markw said:

How did you make the example files?
What works for me is to go to the Bootstrap icon repository you linked to, and;
Choose an icon.
Copy it’s code using the ‘Copy’ button provided.
Open Designer, then;
File > New from Clipboard
Or if you have an existing document open that you want to add them to; Edit > Paste.

If I download the full package from the top link: https://github.com/twbs/icons/archive/v1.0.0-alpha4.zip

I can open the files directly from the ZIP file without issues.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

6 minutes ago, Jowday said:

If I download the full package from the top link: https://github.com/twbs/icons/archive/v1.0.0-alpha4.zip

Yes, that also works for me too.🙂

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

4 minutes ago, Jowday said:

Interesting.
I just redownloaded the whole pack from the same link with the same filename as before.
And you are right, they open perfectly in AD now. The individual icons also have slightly different filesizes than the ones I already had.

So maybe the creators have fixed them or something.
I still wonder though why they would not open before when still displaying in the browser.

Problem solved in an unexpected way ;-) 

3 minutes ago, LostInTranslation said:

Problem solved in an unexpected way ;-) 

Great but mysterious 🙂

Difference between files:

OLD ZIP
<svg class="bi bi-exclamation-circle" width="1em" height="1em" viewBox="0 0 16 16" fill="currentColor" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg">
  <path fill-rule="evenodd" d="M8 15A7 7 0 108 1a7 7 0 000 14zm0 1A8 8 0 108 0a8 8 0 000 16z" clip-rule="evenodd"/>
  <path d="M7.002 11a1 1 0 112 0 1 1 0 01-2 0zM7.1 4.995a.905.905 0 111.8 0l-.35 3.507a.552.552 0 01-1.1 0L7.1 4.995z"/>
</svg>

NEW ZIP
<svg class="bi bi-exclamation-circle" width="1em" height="1em" viewBox="0 0 16 16" fill="currentColor" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg">
  <path fill-rule="evenodd" d="M8 15A7 7 0 1 0 8 1a7 7 0 0 0 0 14zm0 1A8 8 0 1 0 8 0a8 8 0 0 0 0 16z"/>
  <path d="M7.002 11a1 1 0 1 1 2 0 1 1 0 0 1-2 0zM7.1 4.995a.905.905 0 1 1 1.8 0l-.35 3.507a.552.552 0 0 1-1.1 0L7.1 4.995z"/>
</svg>
  • "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

The ‘clip-rule’ property only applies to graphics elements that are contained within a ‘clipPath’ element. The following fragment of code will cause an evenodd clipping rule to be applied to the clipping path because ‘clip-rule’ is specified on the ‘path’ element that defines the clipping shape:

<g clip-rule="nonzero">
  <clipPath id="MyClip">
    <path d="..." clip-rule="evenodd" />
  </clipPath>
  <rect clip-path="url(#MyClip)" ... />
</g>

whereas the following fragment of code will not cause an evenodd clipping rule to be applied because the ‘clip-rule’ is specified on the referencing element, not on the object defining the clipping shape:

<g clip-rule="nonzero">
  <clipPath id="MyClip">
    <path d="..." />
  </clipPath>
  <rect clip-path="url(#MyClip)" clip-rule="evenodd" ... />
</g>

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2