You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher exports nonsense to pdf

Hi,

I am trying to export a 24 page magazine to pdf for web distribution. 

It looks fine in Publisher but one of the typefaces (VAG Rounded) reproduces in the pdf as gobbledygook, although not all the time.

I would attach screenshots of the before and after but I don't know how to, so I have attached the complete pdf file instead.  The afpub file fails to load.

Any help would be most appreciated.  Thanks.

06_June_Lineswapper.pdf

If the magazine is made for reading only (I imagine it is), why don't you export text as curves to avoid all the problems? Usually we save text or embedd fonts into pdf while we think someone will use Find option to jump to text or for someone else to edit the text.

As goes for the screenshot I in Windows use "Lightshot" app which free and easy, offers many nice things.

export text as curves.png

When I open this in publisher I get no less than 10 (ten) missing font warnings. I would look at using more common fonts.

144660-cross-platform-fonts_original.png
Fonts available on both Mac OS X and Windows.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Hi Chaps,

Thanks very much for your responses.  I tried a separate test with each of your suggestions but unfortunately, none of them appear to work, the result is the same.

I have detached the cover from the rest of the magazine in order to conduct the test, and I now attach the afpub file and the resulting pdf, whihc may shed some light on the problem.

Any help would be much appreciated!

06 June cover.afpub Untitled.pdf

Edited by Jeffrey Poulter

Ive just exported the .apub file to PDF for Print and it exported fine, so the logical question is what are your PDF export settings (screenshots please) Graphic is pixelated because it’s missing.

1714251337_ScreenShot2020-06-01at17_34_28.png.4eca17e9a262e6b6c48d4b4b25a5e956.png

1501728427_ScreenShot2020-06-01at17_43_30.png.325eba0d7db24eccd2f28e5a63f14271.png

Removed the black stroke from the bottom text.

06 June cover xx.pdf

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Bad fonts can certainly cause this. I had a simple envelope job here that I set with Gill Sans Light last week. Got approval this morning and opened it up. Text was gobbledegook and had to replace the font in my font management software (FontExplorer Pro) in order to fix the problem. This was in Indesign and I actually saw the problem though in Indesign. It is strange that it views fine for you but on export it gets messed up. If it was a DRM issue with the font it would warn you about it when you try and export and then it would usually just substitute with a system font. Maybe Publisher behaves differently? Where did you get the fonts you are using?

2 hours ago, Jeffrey Poulter said:

Hi Wonderings,

The font I'm using came with the computer.

There may be something wrong with it, though, since it will not embolden and it always used to in PagePlus.

Maybe I should uninstall it and re-install?  Jeff

On windows you can use the snip tool: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-10-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

On Mac: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

Also: https://lifehacker.com/how-to-take-a-screenshot-or-picture-of-whats-on-your-co-5825771

Solved it!  Yay!

The problem, as one of you genii observed,  was that I had two versions of the typeface loaded.  I thought that they were the same family but wondered why they appeared separately.  So I uninstalled one family and job's a good 'un.

Thanks very much everybody for rallying round.  It is much appreciated!