You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've been using Photoshop in Windows for 20 years (I've never used an Apple machine).  I'm used to chosing a tool then making a right click to show the context menu and various appropriate options for that tool.  It's instinctive & simple - one hand, one finger usually gives me what I need.

I've installed Affinity Photo and find the right button does nothing.  There is no setting to enable/empower the right button; there is no Help for the right mouse button.  But right mouse button actions is a fundamental part of the Windows GUI - it works everywhere (except in Affinity for me).

What am I doing wrong?

Welcome to the forums.
Would it be possible for you to attach a video showing us what you are doing?
The right-click context menu functionality should work just fine but it will depend on where you are in the UI whether you will get a menu or not.
If you can’t attach a video, can you give us a full-screen screen grab and point us towards where you are right-clicking?

• 3 weeks later...

screen shots attached.  I have selected the Clone tool in both cases

• In Photoshop the Clone tool is on the image (not on the background) and a right click shows  the panel to adjust the settings.  If I click on the size cursor I can move it with the mouse/stylus or use the cursor keys to increase/decrease the size  of the Clone tool.  Alternatively I can go to the Menu where there is a size icon; clicking on that again shows the panel to adjust the settings.
  • In Affinity the Clone tool is on the image (not on the background) and a right click does nothing.  The only way is to go to the Menu and click on the number to adjust the size using the cursor keys else click on the down arrow (reveal) symbol on the right to get the slider which only works with the mouse/stylus.

When I'm working quickly the Photoshop method is far easier & smoother;  less disruptive to my workflow. 

Right click is a standard method in the Windows GUI & I ca't understand why it's not working

Jem Moore

Affinity.PNG

PhotoShop.PNG

It looks like Serif has simply decided not to implement a right-click context menu for the Clone Tool.
However, you can change the Hardness via the Context Toolbar (using the scroll wheel of your mouse, if you have one, if that’s easier than typing or using the slider) and you can change the Width (Size) in a similar way or use the “[“ and “]” keys.
Just a different way of doing things.
If you would like Serif to make changes to how things work then you can add a Feature Request in the relevant section of this forum.

Thank you.  A quick check indicates that the right-click context menu doesn't appear for any tool.

I've been using Windows since version 3 and the basic mouse actions haven't changed since Windows 95. 

It seems to me that someone in Serif is being more faithful to Steve Jobs than even Apple - plug a two button scrolling mouse into to an iMac or iBook and see what happens with a right click.

I think the right-click functionality isn’t there as it wouldn’t work on iPads, and the Photo functionality has to work as similar as it can on iPads as well as desktop.
I don’t know how Adobe get round this for Photoshop, if they indeed do.