You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Simple guide to colour management and printing?

Is there a simple guide that will explain to me how to get the colours that come out of my printer to look at least more or less like the ones I see on my screen? I have found a lot of information about this, but it all assumes that I know much more than I do and goes completely over my head. Which format should I use for my documents, and which profile should I use for printing? My monitor is the display on my Lenovo Yoga 710 and my printer is a Canon Pixma iP7250 using OCP inks. There are several profiles to choose from specifically for the iP7250 alone and I am completely bewildered.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

There can be a lot of different steps involved in getting colour matching setup, some involve first having your screen colour calibrated. Some others include using a colour profile provided by the paper manufacturer that needs to be installed in the OS first before it can be used. Your installed printer driver will also have some profiles available, these are usually based on their own paper and official inks. But they will also let you specify various different papers types and print quality in the settings.

Sometimes the best option is to open an image and do a print with a set of base options selected and continuing to adjust to get a close match to the screen, when you're done you can save these settings as a custom preset.

There is no simple guide to colour management and calibrating your screen to your printer. Not sure all of what you can achieve with that printer, on a google search it looks like a regular photo printer, nothing really all that special. A simple thing might be to pin point where you think the issues are. Do you find images to cyan, or yellow, or any colour. If that is the case maybe make those adjustments in whatever software you are using bring back the cyan or whatever colour you think is the issue. This would be a more manual and visual way of getting closer to what you see on your screen. Honestly though if colour profiles and accuracy from your printer to your screen is important I might look at a more pro level printer and getting some proper calibrations done.