You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Start at lower priortity

Hi,

please add an option to set default process priority to lower/higher than standard. Mainly so I don't have to use task manager to change it every time I restart AP.

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night, and I work all day..."

Why do you need to adjust Photo's task priority?

I've never needed to do that, and I don't recall seeing any comments by other users that they do it, either.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

... and I haven't seen any standard application that would do that. Task priority is an OS matter.

4 hours ago, TEcHNOpls said:

Mainly so I don't have to use task manager to change it every time I restart AP.

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Program-Start-at-High-Priority-(Windows)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/start

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Easy, I run some apps that are also resource hungry or have tight time constrains.

I discovered that, if I want to, for example, stream a video of me working on a photo, best I can do it to put AP in lower priority so that it works but video rendering and stuff is more important. Same goes for Discord or other voice apps, when AP is on low priority I don't have so many issues with audio stuttering.

Regarding changing priority, it's also application matter: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/win32/api/processthreadsapi/nf-processthreadsapi-setpriorityclass?redirectedfrom=MSDN

So, did you ask the developers of your streaming software and/or discord to set their apps to maximum priority already? If not, why not?

On a serious note: working on an photo editing app is usually the main task for a user. Streaming and discord not so much. That's why professional streaming studios use dedicated hardware for it (i. e. if they plan to stream tutorials). Or they - like you - have to setup priorities manually. 

Streaming your work isn't Affinity Photo App's main purpose. The main purpose is working with it, preferably with high(est) priority in order to allow a fluid workflow.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

@Andy05: All of this is a fact, but, I'm asking for an option in settings, and you're answering like I'm asking for a forced lower priority. Streaming is just one of the scenarios I mentioned and generally switching priorities via Task Manager is a nuisance, that's a power user setting in options I'm asking for.

27 minutes ago, TEcHNOpls said:

@Andy05: All of this is a fact, but, I'm asking for an option in settings, and you're answering like I'm asking for a forced lower priority. Streaming is just one of the scenarios I mentioned and generally switching priorities via Task Manager is a nuisance, that's a power user setting in options I'm asking for.

You're asking for an option in the settings which isn't commonly used by most of the major apps. Probably for a reason? Such special demands shouldn't be dealt with by the app's developer, but the user. 

Why don't you use one of the countless tools one could find, which deal with setting priorities permanently for your programs? As that's what they are for. Like Affinity apps are made for working with them exclusively, hence not in low(er) priority.

Or you simply create a shortcut to the app you want to use and add the adequate starting parameters (like "/abovenormal" or "/belownormal") to them.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/start

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)